Possible Solution for a Moving Cylinder of Charge Injected into a Fluid

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter hunt_mat
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Boundary
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 3K views
Homework Helper
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
33
Does anyone know any good references for a moving boundary problem? I am looking at a cylinder of charge being injected into a fluid, the PDE is:
[tex] -\nabla^{2}\varphi +a\frac{\partial^{2}\varphi}{\partial t^{2}}+b\frac{\partial\varphi}{\partial t}=0[/tex]
I want [itex]\varphi =\varphi_{0}[/itex], a constant on the moving boundary [itex]x=v_{0}t[/itex]
Can anyone suggest some possible solutions?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Let me start by saying that I could be way off here as I haven't worked with moving boundaries before. However, why don't you shift to moving co-ordinates such that [itex]\eta = x - v_0 t[/itex], then your boundary value problem reduces to

[tex]-\nabla^{2}\varphi(\eta) + v_0\{av_0 - b\}\varphi(\eta) =0\;,[/tex]
[tex]\varphi(0) = \varphi_0\;.[/tex]
 
I tried this method before and I didn't get really far with it. You are still left with the problem of the origin moving away from you and that doesn't really help you much.
 
hunt_mat said:
I tried this method before and I didn't get really far with it. You are still left with the problem of the origin moving away from you and that doesn't really help you much.
I'm not sure I follow. In 1D (or a symmetric case in [itex]\mathbb{R}^3[/itex] which reduces to 1D), you will be left with a family hyperbolic or trigonometric functions, depending on the sign. The remaining constant can be determined by the initial distribution of the field - I assumed that this is given.
 
Last edited:
Initially, I am interested in a calculating the electric and magnetic fields from a cylinder of charge moving at a speed v_0 from a plane at x=0. The 1D case has been solved and some very nice solutions have been obtained and now my colleague and I are interested in the 2D case. We reduced the problem down to a damped wave equation which I thought was rather nice.

I am interested in the solution of [itex]\varphi[/itex] outside of the cylinder.