Laplace Equation for an annular geometry with different BC

In summary, the conversation discusses the need for mathematical help in solving for the temperature field in an annular geometry. The problem involves a copper pipe with a boiling two-phase flow immersed in a liquid bath with a constant temperature. The heat transfer coefficients and thermodynamic equilibrium are also mentioned. The conversation goes on to discuss the 2-dimensional Laplace equation for polar coordinates and the use of separation of variables. Eight boundary conditions are given, but it is noted that there are actually an infinite number of unknown constants to solve for.
stockzahn
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Dear all,

I would need mathematical help to solve for the temperature field in an annular geometry (you find a picture attached below the text):

A copper pipe containing a boiling two-phase flow (in the stratified regime) is immersed in a liquid bath, which temperature ##T_{IY}## is assumed to be constant in the entire cross section. The heat transfer coefficient between the bath and the outer surface of the copper pipe(##h_{out}##) is constant.

The liquid phase and the gas phase of the inside flow are in thermodynamic equilibrium (##T_{liq}=T_{gas}=T_{BHX}##). The heat transfer coefficient between the copper pipe and the gas ##h_{Dry}## is much lower than the heat transfer coefficient between the copper pipe and the liquid ##h_{Wet}##.

The geometry is symmetric with respect to the vertical axis, the liquid level can be expressed as the angle ##\varphi_{LL}##. ##R_{in}## and ##R_{out}## denote the inner and the outer radii of the copper pipe respectively.

2-dimensional Laplace equation for polar coordinates:

$$\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial r^2}+\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}+\frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2 T}{\partial \varphi^2} = 0 \quad for\;R_{in}\leq r\leq R_{out},\;0\leq \varphi\leq 2\pi$$

With separation of the variables I obtained two correlations:

$$ g''\left(\varphi\right) + \lambda g\left(\varphi\right) =0$$
$$ r^2 f''\left(r\right) + r f'\left(r\right)-\lambda f\left(r\right) =0$$

Each linear combination of the solutions of the previous equations can be a solution, which generally reads

$$ T\left(r,\varphi\right)=c_0 + d_0 ln\left(r\right)+\sum\left(c_n r^{-n}+d_n r^{n}\right)\left(a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right)+b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right)\right) $$

Now, there are several boundary conditions for the first derivative in radial direction (##k## denotes the (constant) heat conductivity of the copper):

$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{r=R_{out}}=\frac{h_{out}}{k} \left(T_{IY}-T\right)\quad for\;0\leq\varphi\leq
\varphi_{LL}$$
$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{r=R_{out}}=\frac{h_{out}}{k} \left(T_{IY}-T\right)\quad for\;\varphi_{LL}\leq\varphi\leq \pi$$
$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{r=R_{in}}=\frac{h_{Dry}}{k}\ \left(T-T_{BHX}\right)\quad for\;0\leq\varphi\leq \varphi_{LL} $$
$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{r=R_{in}}=\frac{h_{Wet}}{k} \left(T-T_{BHX}\right)\quad for\;\varphi_{LL}\leq\varphi\leq \pi $$

Due to the symmetry, also for the first derivative in tangential direction two boundary conditions can be found:

$$ \frac{\partial T}{\partial \varphi}\bigg{|}_{\varphi=0}=0 $$
$$ \frac{\partial T}{\partial \varphi}\bigg{|}_{\varphi=\pi}=0 $$

Finally, at the position ##\varphi=\varphi_{LL}##, two transitional conditions can be set up:

$$T_{Dry}{\left(\varphi= \varphi_{LL}\right)}=T_{Wet}{\left(\varphi= \varphi_{LL}\right)}$$
$$ \frac{\partial T_{Dry}}{\partial \varphi}\bigg{|}_{\varphi=\varphi_{LL}}=\frac{\partial T_{Wet}}{\partial \varphi}\bigg{|}_{\varphi=\varphi_{LL}}$$

All together I have eight boundary conditions, but twelve unknown constants:

$$\underbrace{c_{0},d_{0},a_{n},b_{n},c_{n},d_{n}}_{\cdot 2\;for\;the\;wetted\;perimeter\;and\;the\;dry\;perimeter}$$

Unfortunately I'm not even sure, if this could be a way to solve the problem or if I made elementary mistakes. I hope that I used the mathematical symbols and notations correctly and gave any necessary information. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
stockzahn

Attachments

• LaPlace_01.jpg
    LaPlace_01.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 578
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your boundary conditions in the ##\varphi##-direction should be ##2\pi## periodicity, which is already covered by the phase of the trigonometric functions being ##n\pi\varphi##. However, you can further argue that half of the angular base functions (which?) can be disregarded as they do not satisfy the reflection symmetry of the problem.

You should definitely not use different constants for the pipe at different angles. What you are trying to do is an expansion in the base functions of the angular differential operator and it is therefore extremely important to use the entire range of ##\varphi## in the expansion. The idea of variable separation is based on having a Sturm-Liouville operator, in your case ##-\partial_\varphi^2##, with appropriate boundary conditions, in your case ##2\pi## periodicity. You can then use Sturm-Liouville's theorem, which states that the eigenfunctions of the SL operator forms a basis for the appropriate ##2\pi## periodic functions of ##\varphi##. In essence, for any fixed ##r## your target function (in this case the temperature in the pipe) can be written on the form
$$
T(r,\varphi) = \sum_n T_n(r) e^{in\varphi}.
$$
Note that I am using the complex form of the eigenfunctions here with ##-\infty < n < \infty##, since it is easier to write it than to separately treat the ##n = 0## case. Inserted into the Laplace equation, this gives you the differential equation for ##T_n(r)## (after noting that all of the ##e^{in\varphi}## are linearly independent).

In order to obtain the appropriate boundary conditions for ##T_n(r)##, you will now need to expand the inhomogeneities as well as the heat transfer coefficient in the boundary conditions in terms of the eigenfunctions ##e^{in\varphi}##. Since the inner boundary condition depends on ##\varphi##, this will mean that your differential equations for ##T_n(r)## generally do not decouple. However, you will get a (infinite) set of algebraic equations to solve.

stockzahn said:
All together I have eight boundary conditions, but twelve unknown constants:
This is not correct. You have an infinite number of constants, as in any problem where you expand in an infinite basis. Your boundary conditions, when expanded in terms of the eigenfunctions, will also give an infinite number of relations that should be sufficient to solve your problem.

Likes stockzahn
Thanks for the fast response/help, I will try to process the information you gave me and maybe (probably / for sure) will have some more questions.

Orodruin said:
This is not correct. You have an infinite number of constants, as in any problem where you expand in an infinite basis. Your boundary conditions, when expanded in terms of the eigenfunctions, will also give an infinite number of relations that should be sufficient to solve your problem.

That, without a doubt, was a very stupid thought - thanks for the correction.

I'm pretty sure that I didn't understand everything you wrote. I try to explain, what I think:

Orodruin said:
You should definitely not use different constants for the pipe at different angles. What you are trying to do is an expansion in the base functions of the angular differential operator and it is therefore extremely important to use the entire range of ##\varphi## in the expansion. The idea of variable separation is based on having a Sturm-Liouville operator, in your case ##-\partial_\varphi^2##, with appropriate boundary conditions, in your case ##2\pi## periodicity. You can then use Sturm-Liouville's theorem, which states that the eigenfunctions of the SL operator forms a basis for the appropriate ##2\pi## periodic functions of ##\varphi##.

So my two equations are the Sturm-Liouville Eigenvalue problem (1) and the Euler Differential Equation (2).

$$ g''\left(\varphi\right) + \lambda g\left(\varphi\right) =0 \qquad \text{(1)}$$
$$ r^2 f''\left(r\right) + r f'\left(r\right)-\lambda f\left(r\right) =0 \qquad \text{(2)}$$

The solution for (1): ## g_0\left(\varphi\right) = a_0## and ## g_n\left(\varphi\right) = a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right)+b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right)## (expressed as ##e^{in\varphi}##)
The solution for (2): ## f_0\left(r\right) =c_0+d_0 ln\left(r\right)## and ## f_n\left(r\right) =c_n r^{-n}+d_n r^{n}## (expressed as ##T_n(r)##)

Therefore you expressed the solution
$$ T\left(r,\varphi\right)= f\left(r\right) g\left(\varphi\right) $$
as
$$T(r,\varphi) = \sum_n T_n(r) e^{in\varphi}.$$

Orodruin said:
In essence, for any fixed ##r## your target function (in this case the temperature in the pipe) can be written on the form

$$

T(r,\varphi) = \sum_n T_n(r) e^{in\varphi}.

$$

Note that I am using the complex form of the eigenfunctions here with ##-\infty < n < \infty##, since it is easier to write it than to separately treat the ##n = 0## case. Inserted into the Laplace equation, this gives you the differential equation for ##T_n(r)## (after noting that all of the ##e^{in\varphi}## are linearly independent).

Now inserting it into the Laplace equation yields

$$ \Delta T\left(r,\varphi\right)=\sum \left[T_n''\left(r\right)+\frac{1}{r}T_n'\left(r\right)-\frac{n^2}{r^2}T_n\left(r\right)\right]e^{in\varphi} = 0$$
$$ \sum \left[T_n''\left(r\right)+\frac{1}{r}T_n'\left(r\right)-\frac{n^2}{r^2}T_n\left(r\right)\right] = 0$$

Orodruin said:
In order to obtain the appropriate boundary conditions for ##T_n(r)##, you will now need to expand the inhomogeneities as well as the heat transfer coefficient in the boundary conditions in terms of the eigenfunctions ##e^{in\varphi}##. Since the inner boundary condition depends on ##\varphi##, this will mean that your differential equations for ##T_n(r)## generally do not decouple. However, you will get a (infinite) set of algebraic equations to solve.

To expand the BCs in terms of ##e^{in\varphi}##, I need to create a Fourier series like

$$ \frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\left(\varphi\right)= \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \left[ a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right) +b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right) \right],$$

which describes "the shape" of my boundary conditions along the angle ##\varphi## at ##R_{in}## and ##R_{out}##. However, in my case the BC includes the temperature, which I want to calculate. So how can I expand a series to find the shape of the BC, which is obtained by the result?

$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{R_{out},\varphi}=\frac{h_{out}}{k} \left(T_{IY}-T\left(R_{out},\varphi\right)\right)= \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \left[ a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right) +b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right) \right]$$

$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{R_{in},\varphi}=\frac{h_{in}}{k} \left(T\left(R_{in},\varphi\right)-T_{BHX}\right)= \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \left[ a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right) +b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right) \right]$$

Orodruin said:
Your boundary conditions in the ##\varphi##-direction should be ##2\pi## periodicity, which is already covered by the phase of the trigonometric functions being ##n\pi\varphi##. However, you can further argue that half of the angular base functions (which?) can be disregarded as they do not satisfy the reflection symmetry of the problem.

The cosine is the even function, the sine is the odd function. Since the geometry is axisymmetrical with respect to the vertical axis, I'd say the cosine function reflects the symmetry of my problem.

Thanks again for the support!

stockzahn said:
Therefore you expressed the solution
$$ T\left(r,\varphi\right)= f\left(r\right) g\left(\varphi\right) $$
as
$$T(r,\varphi) = \sum_n T_n(r) e^{in\varphi}.$$
Your first expression here is not the general solution. What I did was to fix ##r## and expand the solution in the ##\varphi## eigenfunctions of the SL operator. Since the function being expanded depends on ##r##, so do the expansion coefficients ##T_n##.

Now inserting it into the Laplace equation yields

$$ \Delta T\left(r,\varphi\right)=\sum \left[T_n''\left(r\right)+\frac{1}{r}T_n'\left(r\right)-\frac{n^2}{r^2}T_n\left(r\right)\right]e^{in\varphi} = 0$$
$$ \sum \left[T_n''\left(r\right)+\frac{1}{r}T_n'\left(r\right)-\frac{n^2}{r^2}T_n\left(r\right)\right] = 0$$
Your last step here is not valid. You cannot just throw away the ##\varphi## basis functions. The point is that those basis functions are all linearly independent and to make the entire sum zero, the prefactor must be equal to zero for each term, leading to a homogeneous differential equation for ##T_n(r)##. Up to this point you really had no handle on what differential equation those prefactors should satisfy. (This is the reason separation of variables works although it usually is not presented this way!)

To expand the BCs in terms of ##e^{in\varphi}##, I need to create a Fourier series like

$$ \frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\left(\varphi\right)= \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \left[ a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right) +b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right) \right],$$

which describes "the shape" of my boundary conditions along the angle ##\varphi## at ##R_{in}## and ##R_{out}##. However, in my case the BC includes the temperature, which I want to calculate. So how can I expand a series to find the shape of the BC, which is obtained by the result?

$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{R_{out},\varphi}=\frac{h_{out}}{k} \left(T_{IY}-T\left(R_{out},\varphi\right)\right)= \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \left[ a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right) +b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right) \right]$$

$$\frac{\partial T}{\partial r}\bigg{|}_{R_{in},\varphi}=\frac{h_{in}}{k} \left(T\left(R_{in},\varphi\right)-T_{BHX}\right)= \frac{a_0}{2} + \sum\limits_{n=1}^\infty \left[ a_n cos\left(n\varphi\right) +b_n sin\left(n\varphi\right) \right]$$

You already have an expansion for ##T## and so you can express both ##T## and ##T_r## at the boundaries in terms of those. What you need to do is to also expand the heat transfer coefficients in the basis functions. This will give you some relations that should essentially fix your constants. I also suggest you make a translation so that the inner temperature is zero. This will remove some complications from your boundary conditions.
The cosine is the even function, the sine is the odd function. Since the geometry is axisymmetrical with respect to the vertical axis, I'd say the cosine function reflects the symmetry of my problem.

This is correct. You can just throw away the sines because of the symmetry.

Likes stockzahn
Orodruin said:
Your first expression here is not the general solution. What I did was to fix ##r## and expand the solution in the ##\varphi## eigenfunctions of the SL operator. Since the function being expanded depends on ##r##, so do the expansion coefficients ##T_n##.

Your last step here is not valid. You cannot just throw away the ##\varphi## basis functions. The point is that those basis functions are all linearly independent and to make the entire sum zero, the prefactor must be equal to zero for each term, leading to a homogeneous differential equation for ##T_n(r)##. Up to this point you really had no handle on what differential equation those prefactors should satisfy. (This is the reason separation of variables works although it usually is not presented this way!)

The prefactor of ##e^{in\varphi}## equals zero results in the Euler Differential equation.

$$\Delta T\left(r,\varphi\right)=\sum \underbrace{\left[T_n''\left(r\right)+\frac{1}{r}T_n'\left(r\right)-\frac{n^2}{r^2}T_n\left(r\right)\right]}_{= 0}e^{in\varphi}$$
$$T_n''\left(r\right)+\frac{1}{r}T_n'\left(r\right)-\frac{n^2}{r^2}T_n\left(r\right)=0 \rightarrow \text{Euler DE}$$

The solution of the Euler DE is

$$T_n\left(r\right)=c_nr^{-n}+d_nr^{n}$$

Now I have the coefficients ##c_n## and ##d_n## for each ##n##, for which I need the BC to calculate them.

$$T\left(r,\varphi\right)=\sum \left(c_nr^{-n}+d_nr^{n}\right) e^{in\varphi}$$

I hope the problem was the argumentation/way of the derivation, because I've already had something similar. Otherwise I didn't understand the problem.

Orodruin said:
This is correct. You can just throw away the sines because of the symmetry.

Euler's formula says

$$e^{in\varphi}= cos\left(n\varphi\right)+i\,sin\left(n\varphi\right),$$

since I can neglect the sine-terms it can be simplified to

$$e^{in\varphi}= cos\left(n\varphi\right).$$

Using that correlation, the entire formula can be written:

$$T\left(r,\varphi\right)=\sum \left(c_nr^{-n}+d_nr^{n}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)$$

For the ##2n## coefficients, I now have to find the expansions of the heat transfer coefficients.

Orodruin said:
You already have an expansion for ##T## and so you can express both ##T## and ##T_r## at the boundaries in terms of those. What you need to do is to also expand the heat transfer coefficients in the basis functions. This will give you some relations that should essentially fix your constants.

$$T=\sum \left(c_nr^{-n}+d_nr^{n}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)$$
$$T_r=\sum \left(-nc_nr^{-\left(n+1\right)}+nd_nr^{n-1}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)$$

Since the heat transfer coefficient at the outer surface and the thermal conductivity are constant, I suppose I don't need an expansion for the outside BC.

$$T_r\big{|}_{r=R_{out}}=\frac{h_{out}}{k} \left(T_{IY}-T\big{|}_{r=R_{out}}\right)$$
$$\sum \left(-nc_nR_{out}^{-\left(n+1\right)}+nd_nR_{out}^{n-1}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)=\frac{h_{out}}{k} \left(T_{IY}-\sum \left(c_nR_{out}^{-n}+d_nR_{out}^{n}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)\right)$$

At the inner surface though, the heat transfer coefficient does vary. Therefore I need an expansion to create the right shape. I tried to find one like

$$h_{in}\left(\varphi\right)=h_{Wet}-\frac{\left(h_{Wet}-h_{Dry}\right)}{\pi}\left[\varphi_{LL}+2\sum\limits_{n=1}^{\infty}\frac{sin\left(n\varphi_{LL}\right)}{n}cos\left(n\varphi\right)\right],$$

whose curve you can find in the diagram attached at the end of the post. This correlation I can insert into the BC:

$$T_r\big{|}_{r=R_{in}}=\frac{h_{in}\left(\varphi\right)}{k} \left(T\big{|}_{r=R_{in}}-T_{BHX}\right)$$
$$\sum \left(-nc_nR_{in}^{-\left(n+1\right)}+nd_nR_{in}^{n-1}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)=\frac{h_{in}\left(\varphi\right)}{k} \left[\sum \left(c_nR_{out}^{-n}+d_nR_{out}^{n}\right)cos\left(n\varphi\right)-T_{BHX}\right] $$

Orodruin said:
I also suggest you make a translation so that the inner temperature is zero. This will remove some complications from your boundary conditions.

I suppose with inner temperature you meant ##T_{BHX}##, therefore

$$\sum \left(-nc_nR_{in}^{-\left(n+1\right)}+nd_nR_{in}^{n-1}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)=\frac{h_{in}\left(\varphi\right)}{k} \left[\sum \left(c_nR_{out}^{-n}+d_nR_{out}^{n}\right)cos\left(n\varphi\right)\right]$$

$$\sum \left(-nc_nR_{out}^{-\left(n+1\right)}+nd_nR_{out}^{n-1}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)=\frac{h_{out}}{k} \left(\underbrace{T_{IY}-T_{BHX}}_{T_{0}}-\sum \left(c_nR_{out}^{-n}+d_nR_{out}^{n}\right) cos\left(n\varphi\right)\right)$$

Would that be the correct approach to be able solve the problem?

Attachments

• FourierSeries_02.jpg
    FourierSeries_02.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 499
Last edited:
Just an update: I tried to solve the problem with my approach and I've got the first results. After my post you find diagrams with the temperature profiles for ##0\leq\varphi\leq\pi## with ##\varphi_{LL}=\pi/2##. Some comments:

1) The calculations of the sums only was possible for ##-110\leq n\leq 226 ##, since all other values for ##n## yield numbers to high or to low for the programm to process.

2) At the value ##n=0## yields a division by zero. Therefore I didn't take this value into account when calculating the sums.

3) Using the actual parameters of the problem, the resulting curves look strange and the obtained values for the temperatures are wrong (##T_{max}=1.9\;K##). This can be seen in the first three diagrams, which illustrate the temperature profile at three different radii (inner surface ##R_{in}##, half wall thickness ##R_{BHX}## and outer surface ##R_{out}##). By increasing the heat conductivity of the copper by a factor of 100, the resulting profiles become realistic (as illustrated in the last diagram).

Thanks for your help until now. If you have any other hint or correction, I would be grateful.

Attachments

• T with low k at Rin.jpg
    T with low k at Rin.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 540
  • T with low k at Rmid.jpg
    T with low k at Rmid.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 515
  • T with low k at Rout.jpg
    T with low k at Rout.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 550
  • T with high k .jpg
    T with high k .jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 450
stockzahn said:
2) At the value ##n=0## yields a division by zero. Therefore I didn't take this value into account when calculating the sums.
Typically the ##n = 0## term is very important. However, you cannot treat it along with the others as ##\cos(nx)## for ##n = 0## does not integrate to ##\sin(nx)/n##, it integrates to ##x##.

1. What is the Laplace equation for an annular geometry with different boundary conditions?

The Laplace equation for an annular geometry is a partial differential equation that describes the steady-state distribution of a scalar field (such as temperature or pressure) in a region with a circular hole at its center. The equation is given by ∇²φ = 0, where φ represents the scalar field and ∇² is the Laplace operator. The boundary conditions can vary depending on the specific problem, but they typically involve specifying the value of φ or its derivative at the inner and outer boundaries of the annulus.

2. What is the significance of the Laplace equation in mathematical physics?

The Laplace equation is a fundamental equation in mathematical physics that arises in many different physical systems. It is a special case of the more general Poisson's equation, which is used to describe the behavior of scalar fields in a wide range of physical phenomena, including electrostatics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer. The Laplace equation is also closely related to the concept of harmonic functions, which play a key role in the study of complex numbers and analytic functions.

3. How does the Laplace equation change for an annular geometry compared to other geometries?

The Laplace equation itself does not change for different geometries; it remains ∇²φ = 0. However, the specific boundary conditions that are applied to the equation will vary depending on the geometry of the problem. In the case of an annular geometry, the boundary conditions typically involve specifying the value of φ or its derivative at the inner and outer boundaries of the annulus. In other geometries, such as a rectangular domain, the boundary conditions may be different.

4. What are the applications of Laplace equation for an annular geometry with different boundary conditions?

The Laplace equation for an annular geometry has many practical applications in engineering and physics. It can be used to model the steady-state behavior of heat transfer in a circular heat exchanger, the distribution of electric potential in a circular capacitor, or the flow of fluid in a circular pipe. In each of these cases, the boundary conditions will be different, but the underlying equation will remain the same. The Laplace equation is also used in many numerical methods for solving differential equations, making it a powerful tool for simulating a wide range of physical systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using the Laplace equation for an annular geometry with different boundary conditions?

While the Laplace equation is a powerful and versatile tool for solving many problems involving scalar fields, it does have certain limitations. One limitation is that it only describes steady-state behavior, meaning that it cannot be used to model systems that change over time. Additionally, the Laplace equation assumes that the scalar field is continuous and differentiable, which may not always be the case in real-world systems. Finally, the solution to the Laplace equation is only unique up to a constant, meaning that there may be multiple solutions that satisfy the equation and boundary conditions. These limitations should be taken into consideration when using the Laplace equation to model physical systems.