Possible to solve x^a=a^x for a?

• Thread starter maxbashi
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation revolved around trying to find a solution for x^a=a^x and whether it was solvable in terms of elementary functions. The conversation ended with the conclusion that while it is not solvable in terms of elementary functions, it can be represented parametrically using the Lambert W function. The conversation also included discussions about the multi-valued nature of the W function and various attempts to find a solution using parametric equations.
maxbashi
actually for x, but it probably doesn't matter either way.

I was hoping to find an answer for x in terms of A just out of curiosity, to see where the points on these graphs intersect other than at x=a (x^2 and 2^x meet at both x=2 and x=4 for example). Is it solvable?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello !
Is it solvable?
Not in terms of an elementary function, Yes in terms of a special function : the Lambert's W(X) function.
a = -x W(X)/ln(x) where X = -ln(x)/x
The Lambert's W function is a multiform function. So, more than one root may be obtained in some cases.

[tex] e^{x \ln a} = x^a [/tex]

[tex] -1 = -x e^{-\frac{x \ln a}{a}} [/tex]

[tex] -\frac{\ln a}{a} = -\frac{x \ln a}{a} e^{-\frac{x \ln a}{a}} [/tex]

I think this is the way to do it!

No, it's not. You have just moved things around without solving for a.

I think Greg was just getting it into Lambert W form after which the answer is immediate except I think we should have a [itex]1^{1/x} [/itex] term in there when we take the [itex]1/x[/itex] root (or 1/a root if solving for x). So that I get:

[tex]a=-\frac{x}{\log(x)}\textbf{W}\left[-e^{2k\pi i/x} \frac{\log(x)}{x}\right],\quad k=0,\pm 1, \pm 2, \cdots[/tex]

jackmell said:
I think Greg was just getting it into Lambert W form after which the answer is immediate except I think we should have a [itex]1^{1/x} [/itex] term in there when we take the [itex]1/x[/itex] root (or 1/a root if solving for x). So that I get:

[tex]a=-\frac{x}{\log(x)}\textbf{W}\left[-e^{2k\pi i/x} \frac{\log(x)}{x}\right],\quad k=0,\pm 1, \pm 2, \cdots[/tex]

Hi could you talk through [tex] -e^{2k\pi i/x} [/tex] ? I think I know why you have done that and my rearranging gives one of your solutions

You cannot, as such, solve for "a" in terms of "x" or vice versa.

However, it is possible to get an explicit expression for the curve(s) traced out in the first quadrant of the x-a-plane, as given by your equation.

Set:
[tex]x=t^{k}, a=t^{m}[/tex]
Thus, inserting this in your equation, we get:
[tex]t^{kt^{m}}=t^{mt^{k}}\to{kt^{m}}=mt^{k}[/tex]
This can be rearranged as:
[tex]t^{k-m}=\frac{k}{m}[/tex]
Here, one branch of the solution curve is given by k=m.
Fopr the others, we get:
[tex]t=(\frac{k}{m})^{\frac{1}{k-m}}[/tex]
whereby we get:
[tex]x=(\frac{k}{m})^{\frac{k}{k-m}}\to{x}=c^{\frac{c}{c-1}},c=\frac{k}{m}(1)[/tex]
[tex]a=c^{\frac{1}{c-1}}(2)[/tex]

Thus, for [itex]c\neq{1}[/tex], we get the parametric representation of solutions (x,a) by (1) and (2).

Gregg said:
Hi could you talk through [tex] -e^{2k\pi i/x} [/tex] ? I think I know why you have done that and my rearranging gives one of your solutions

I just know enough to get in trouble:

[tex]x^a=a^x[/tex]

[tex]e^{a\log(x)}=a^x[/tex]

[tex]1=a^xe^{-a\log(x)}[/tex]

at this point we take the [itex]x'th[/tex] root:

[tex]1^{1/x}=ae^{-a\log(x)/x}[/tex]

but it seems to me that [itex]1^{1/x}=e^{i/x(2k\pi)},\quad k=0,\pm 1,\pm 2, \cdots[/itex]

then just multiplying both sides by [itex]-\log(x)/x[/itex] gets it into Lambert W form and the expression for a then becomes immediate.

Really though this is a little unclear to me: The W function is infinitely valued, the log is infinitely valued, and then the [itex]1^{1/x} [/itex] is multi-valued. It would take me some time to really wade through all this and get a good handle on it.

arildno said:
You cannot, as such, solve for "a" in terms of "x" or vice versa.

What's wrong with:

[tex]
a=-\frac{x}{\log(x)}\textbf{W}\left[-e^{2k\pi i/x} \frac{\log(x)}{x}\right],\quad k=0,\pm 1, \pm 2, \cdots
[/tex]

jackmell said:
What's wrong with:

[tex]
a=-\frac{x}{\log(x)}\textbf{W}\left[-e^{2k\pi i/x} \frac{\log(x)}{x}\right],\quad k=0,\pm 1, \pm 2, \cdots
[/tex]

I should have qualified my statement by "solvable in terms of elementary functions",

Arildno wrote :
x = function of parametrer (c)
a = another function of (c).
This isn't the solution of equation x^a=a^x. In fact, this is a parametric relationship between x and a. The usual equation is replaced by a parametric equation without solving it.
In order to get to the solution of the equation, still it would be necessary to express c as a function of x, which can be done thanks to the Lambert W function. Finally the same result would be obtained that the result already known, which anyways includes the Lambert W function.

JJacquelin said:
Arildno wrote :
x = function of parametrer (c)
a = another function of (c).
This isn't the solution of equation x^a=a^x. In fact, this is a parametric relationship between x and a. The usual equation is replaced by a parametric equation without solving it.
In order to get to the solution of the equation, still it would be necessary to express c as a function of x, which can be done thanks to the Lambert W function. Finally the same result would be obtained that the result already known, which anyways includes the Lambert W function.

Read what I wrote:
However, it is possible to get an explicit expression for the curve(s) traced out in the first quadrant of the x-a-plane, as given by your equation.
Thus...we get the parametric representation of solutions (x,a) by (1) and (2).

The pairs of numbers (x,a) that solve the equation are given a parametric representation in terms of "c".
I have already said that:
You cannot, as such, solve for "a" in terms of "x" or vice versa
and later on qualified that to mean unsolvable in terms of elementary functions.

The original equation can be regarded as an implicit representation of a curve in the x-a-plane, I have given an explicit representation of that solution curve.

Last edited:
OK, of course I agree.
My message was not a reproach, but just to make even more clair that turning the equation into parametric form isn't solving it. Sorry if my way to express it may throw into confusion.
Cordially

JJacquelin said:
OK, of course I agree.
My message was not a reproach, but just to make even more clair that turning the equation into parametric form isn't solving it. Sorry if my way to express it may throw into confusion.
Cordially
That's okay.

And, I agree:
Giving an explicit expression for the solution curve, as I did, is not generally what people think of as "solving" an equation.

The parametric representation does, however, make it trivial to graph the curve, and analytically, it is easy to see that the solution curve is a trident, with its joint at (e,e).

Consistent with this, the representation proves that for 0<=x<=1, only unique solutions exist, along the line segment x=a

Last edited:
[tex]
x^{a} = a^{x}, \ x, a > 0
[/tex]

Take the logarithm of both sides:

[tex]
a \ln x = x \ln a
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{\ln x}{x} = \frac{\ln a}{a}
[/tex]

Define the function:

[tex]
f(x) \equiv \frac{\ln x}{x}, \ x > 0
[/tex]

The inverse of f is a multi-valued function which can be expressed in terms of the Lambert W-function:

[tex]
W(z) e^{W(z)} = z
[/tex]

Namely, taking [tex]w = -\ln t[/tex], we get:

[tex]
w e^{w} = -\ln t \, e^{-\ln t} = -\frac{\ln t}{t}
[/tex]

So, we can finally write:

[tex]
f(t) = -w e^{w}, w = -\ln t, \ t = e^{-w}
[/tex]

and the inverse is represented as [itex]f^{-1}(x) \equiv e^{-W(-x)}[/itex]. As we said, there are many branches of the W-function. In general, if we have an equation of the form:

[tex]
f(x) = f(y)
[/tex]

and [itex]f^{-1}[/itex] has several branches, then we can write:

[tex]
x = f^{-1}_{k}[f(y)]
[/tex]

One of these solutions is always [itex]x = y[/itex]. So, in your case, we have:

[tex]
x = \exp\left[-W \left(-\frac{\ln a}{a}\right)\right]
[/tex]

1. Is it possible to solve for a in the equation x^a=a^x?

Yes, it is possible to solve for a in this equation. However, it may not always have a unique solution and may require using advanced mathematical techniques such as logarithms and exponential functions.

2. What is the general approach to solving x^a=a^x for a?

The general approach to solving this equation is to take the logarithm of both sides and then use algebraic manipulation to isolate the variable a. This will typically involve using the properties of logarithms and exponentials to simplify the equation.

3. What are the possible solutions for a in the equation x^a=a^x?

The possible solutions for a in this equation depend on the values of x and a. If x = a, then a = x is the only solution. If x = 1, then a can take on any real value. If x > 0 and x ≠ 1, then there are two solutions for a: a = x and a = xlog(x)/log(a). If x < 0, then there are no real solutions for a.

4. Can we solve x^a=a^x for a without using logarithms?

No, it is not possible to solve this equation without using logarithms or other advanced mathematical techniques. The equation involves both exponentials and logarithms, and the use of logarithms is necessary to simplify and isolate the variable a.

5. What are some real-life applications of the equation x^a=a^x?

The equation x^a=a^x has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. For example, it can be used to solve problems involving interest rates, population growth, and radioactive decay. It also has applications in graph theory, where it can be used to determine the number of spanning trees in a graph.