Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Posting stories in the Writing forum?

1. Aug 27, 2012 #1
    Well, the title really sums it up to be honest.

Are we allowed to write our own stories and post it piece-by-piece as we write, here on this forum? If so I would love to do something like that.

I may even include some of the members as characters even ;)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 27, 2012 #2
    Even got a story brewing in my mind already :)

4. Aug 27, 2012 #3
    Cool idea! It could also be interesting to create "community" stories! Might be better to house those in a sub forum! Anyone else interested?

5. Aug 27, 2012 #4
    I really like the concept of the Science Fiction Writing forum in general. I have been wanting to write my own novel/novella for some years now, but I just never started for some strange reason. One of the main reasons was to improve my writing, grammar and vocabulary generally.

Also, the idea that any technical questions we have, we can just post it here is fantastic. I have a sneaky suspicion that I will be using it quite often if this story of mine finally becomes a reality :D

Hehe never mind me babbling away, I am just excited!

6. Aug 27, 2012 #5
    I'm all for the Idea myself

7. Aug 27, 2012 #6

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The separate sub-forum idea sounds best for stories.

8. Aug 27, 2012 #7
    May I suggest Writers have Two threads.

Their Story Thread

and a Second thread for discussions, suggestions and other talk about their story?

9. Aug 27, 2012 #8
    Seems very difficult to organize though. After awhile the forum would be a mess.

10. Aug 27, 2012 #9

Ryan_m_b

Staff: Mentor

Posting stories sounds like a great idea, IMO though there is no reason why it couldn't just be done in this subforum. As for comments and revisions writers could just post the piece in the OP and use the rest of the thread for feedback. When they have a part 2 they could put it in the thread again and discussion could go from there.

11. Aug 27, 2012 #10
    Is there a character limit per post out of interest? The answer will effect the next part.

One option is when you open your thread, you immediately post some "reserve" posts. Possibly around 4 or 5 (or more if you're planning a long story). In these reserved spaces you can add more to the story once you write it up, so that it all stays on the "top" of the thread. A downfall though is that it makes reading the thread trickier to spot the new story as it will not be in the usual place nor will it show up as a new post.

But I also like Ryan's method. Easy and clean.

Also, just while I am thinking, another negative about my method is that you may not know how long your story will actually end up being. The more I think about it, Ryan's version is better.

12. Aug 27, 2012 #11
    30,000 per post. We can create a prefix of "reserved" so people know not to post and we can always clean them up if people do.

13. Aug 28, 2012 #12
    So we are looking at a Sub forum of SF Media? or of SF Writing?

Also Ryan's method works.

Maybe make a another sub-sub-fourm for Completed Stories? So the author can re-post in there the complete story without the breaks.

14. Aug 28, 2012 #13
    Just a note, if you are considering having any of these works published, it is generally not advisable to post them in a public forum. With that said, I think it's a good idea and I'd probably participate.

15. Aug 28, 2012 #14

Evo

Staff: Mentor

We've had a successful previously published writer work out issues for his new book here. He even thanked us in the Acknowledgent.

16. Aug 28, 2012 #15
    I know it's possible. Many publishers will not accept manuscripts that have been published in part or in full in public domains, however.

Working out issues in sections of text is one thing, Posting stories here and trying to have them published is quite another.

17. Aug 28, 2012 #16

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Wow. That's cool. I must have missed that somewhere.

18. Aug 28, 2012 #17
    Most of us know and understand that we will likely never become published Authors, not to be confused with Hope that we might some day become published authors.

Yet should our stories go untold simply because some one won't pay us to write it?

I say No!

We Write because we like to write, we write Science fiction because we love Science and dreaming what waits for us to discover. and we want to share our visions and dreams of what could be, what was, or what could have been.

19. Aug 28, 2012 #18
    Until we get lots of stories, I'm just going to create a thread prefix "Reserved: Story Development" for those who want to develop a story. Will be available in a few minutes.

20. Aug 28, 2012 #19
    Thank you Greg

21. Aug 28, 2012 #20
    Also very cool :)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook