Postpone Senior Year to get Better Grades to go to a Competitive Grad?

In summary, this person is worried about their upcoming senior year and whether or not they will be able to pass their classes. They have gotten rid of some stressors in their life and are taking medication to improve their motivation, but they are still concerned about their ability to succeed. They want to know what other people think about their situation and what they should do.
AliAllyMac
I need advice!

I know exactly what I want to do in physics: I am already doing research at my university as an undergrad and I plan to make a career out of it after I get my PhD. But I have had the absolute worst time with general motivation due to a decade of depression. I am so scared that next year, my senior year, won't go well. I only took two classes this past quarter but still barely passed because I couldn't bring myself to study or do homework.

I have gotten rid of several stressors from my life, I am on multiple antidepressants specifically for the motivation issue, and I am doing everything I can to keep myself focused on school for next year. My biggest concern is that all of this effort will still result in no change in motivation and I'll end up being content with C's again, but this is probably terrible as a future graduate school applicant!

I was already planning on taking a brief break before grad school for this problem, but now I am wondering if I should move that up a year and put a pause on my undergrad education so I can potentially do better when I have fixed my motivation. But at the same time that feels like a BAD decision. I am unsure what to do or where to go from here.

Can someone please give me some advice or insight? Should I stick it out for next year and graduate with C's or take a break and finish when I am better prepared? thx

Physics news on Phys.org
After a decade of dealing with depression, it is not under control. Any advice here will be of little consequence until you are assured of having it under control. You should be having this discussion with a physician, not a physicist.

Likes berkeman
gleem said:
After a decade of dealing with depression, it is not under control. Any advice here will be of little consequence until you are assured of having it under control. You should be having this discussion with a physician, not a physicist.
@AliAllyMac -- This is good advice. Your doctor and your faculty advisor are the best people for you to talk with about this. I'll go ahead and close off this thread now.

What are the benefits of postponing senior year to improve grades for a competitive graduate program?

Postponing senior year to improve grades can have several benefits. It allows for more time to focus on academics and potentially improve GPA. It also provides an opportunity to take additional courses or retake courses for a better grade. This can make a student more competitive for graduate programs.

Will postponing senior year affect my chances of getting into a competitive graduate program?

Postponing senior year may not necessarily affect your chances of getting into a competitive graduate program. Admissions committees typically look at the overall academic record and achievements of a student. If postponing senior year results in improved grades and a stronger academic record, it may actually increase your chances of being accepted into a competitive graduate program.

How will postponing senior year impact my graduation date?

Postponing senior year will likely delay your graduation date. However, this may be a worthwhile trade-off if it means improving your grades and increasing your chances of getting into a competitive graduate program. It is important to carefully consider the potential benefits and drawbacks before making a decision.

What other factors should I consider before deciding to postpone senior year?

There are several factors to consider before deciding to postpone senior year. These include the potential impact on financial aid, scholarships, and internships. It is also important to consider if postponing senior year aligns with your long-term academic and career goals. Additionally, it is important to consult with academic advisors and mentors for guidance.

Are there any alternatives to postponing senior year to improve grades for a competitive graduate program?

There are alternative ways to improve grades without postponing senior year. These include taking summer courses, participating in tutoring or study groups, and seeking extra help from professors. It is also important to prioritize time management and study habits to ensure academic success. Ultimately, the best approach will depend on individual circumstances and goals.