Potential to rectify an error in wikipedia

In summary, There is a potential error in the section on the Luminiferous aether and the Michelson-Morley experiment on the speed of light page on Wikipedia. The user suspects that Lorentz transformations were derived from electromagnetic considerations and were only later recognized as a potential explanation for the Michelson-Morley null result. However, the section currently states that Lorentz proposed his transformations in response to the null result. It is unclear if this is an error worth correcting. The user also notes that another user coincidentally made edits to the section shortly after their post.
neopolitan
I'm not arrogant enough to change wikipedia myself, but I suspect there is an error in a page on the speed of light. Specifically http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_..._and_the_Michelson.E2.80.93Morley_experiment".

The section states:

"The null result also led Lorentz to propose that motion through the aether contracts the Michelson interferometer due to Fitzgerald-Lorentz contraction,[64] and later to propose his Lorentz transformations which formed the mathematical basis of Einstein's special theory of relativity."

My recollection is that Lorentz transformations are derived from electromagnetic considerations and are a consequence of the Maxwell equations, and that Lorentz himself did not recognise the potential application of his equations to the Michelson Morley null result until later, after the development of the Lorentz transformations in 1899, ie around 1904. (Even when he did realize the application, it was to explain how luminiferous aether could still exist but not be noticed by Michelson and Morley - a year before Einstein published the theory which effectively demolished the aether altogether.)

Is this an error? If so, is it worth correcting or is it close enough to the facts to leave in place?

cheers,

neopolitan

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Interestingly enough, wikipedia user "Brews_ohare" modified the comment I highlighted about 20-30 minutes after I posted here.

It seems to be entirely coincidental because he modified a number of other things as well.

Case closed :smile:

Thank you for bringing this potential error to our attention. As with any information on Wikipedia, it is important to ensure accuracy and reliability. If you believe that there is an error in the section on the speed of light, you can certainly suggest a correction by providing reliable sources and evidence to support your claim. The Wikipedia community values input from knowledgeable individuals like yourself, and any edits or corrections made are subject to review and discussion by other editors. So, please feel free to make a suggestion and engage in a discussion on the talk page of the article. Together, we can work towards improving the accuracy and quality of information on Wikipedia. Thank you again for your contribution.

1. What is the potential impact of rectifying an error in Wikipedia?

The potential impact of rectifying an error in Wikipedia is immense. As one of the most popular and widely used sources of information, correcting an error can ensure that accurate information is being disseminated to a large audience. It can also prevent the spread of misinformation and contribute to the overall credibility and reliability of Wikipedia as a source.

2. How can I rectify an error in Wikipedia?

Rectifying an error in Wikipedia is a fairly simple process. If you come across an error, you can click on the "Edit" button at the top of the page and make any necessary changes. Be sure to provide reliable sources to support your edits and follow Wikipedia's guidelines for editing and citing sources. You can also flag the page for review by an experienced editor if you are unsure about making the changes yourself.

3. Will my changes be immediately visible on Wikipedia?

No, your changes will not be immediately visible on Wikipedia. All edits go through a review process by experienced editors to ensure accuracy and adherence to Wikipedia's guidelines. Depending on the page and the nature of your edits, it may take a few minutes to a few days for your changes to be approved and appear on the page.

4. What if my changes are reverted by another editor?

If your changes are reverted by another editor, it may be because they do not align with Wikipedia's guidelines or because they lack sufficient reliable sources. In this case, you can reach out to the editor who reverted your changes for further clarification or you can consult with other experienced editors on the Talk page for that article.

5. Is it important to rectify errors in Wikipedia?

Yes, it is important to rectify errors in Wikipedia. As a widely used source of information, it is crucial for Wikipedia to maintain accuracy and reliability. By identifying and correcting errors, you are contributing to the improvement of this valuable resource for the benefit of all readers.