Power problem, need some advice/help

• Thread starter Diggidy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary, Tom's boat is sinking due to water coming in at a rate of 14.0 liters per minute. However, he has a pump with a power of 5.0W that can pump water over the high side of the boat. The solution involves using the density of water and the height of the water lift to calculate the potential gravitational energy. By using the equation P = M * G * H / T, the problem can be solved and the boat can stay afloat.
Diggidy

Homework Statement

Tom's boat is sinking. Water is comming in at a rate of 14.0 liters per minute. He has a pump with a power of 5.0W that pumps water over the high side of the boat. Does the boat sink or stay afloat?

Homework Equations

Not sure, sorry.

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe you need the denisty of water to figure out the mass, and then figure out the Potential gravitational energy, but there is no volume for the boat given so I am clueless to finding the mass.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track. It takes some energy to pick up the water and lift it over the side of the boat. You need the height of the water lift (is that given to you, or are you just supposed to assume some height?), and then figure out how much water per second the 5W let's you lift over that height.

I actually got the problem.

I had changed the problem because it was a homework problem and I didn't want to feel like I cheeted, and in the process of changing number I forgot to readd the height of the boat.

Basically what I did was changed the the 14L/M into Kg/S and used the equation

P = M * G * H (Gravitational potential) / T

Got the right answer, without help! I guess doing physics at night is a bad thing, because my creative thinking is non existant, so figuring out a word problem, obviously, is not going to go so well. Thanks.

What causes power problems?

Power problems can be caused by a variety of factors, including damaged power lines, overloaded circuits, faulty equipment, and extreme weather conditions. It is important to identify the specific cause of the problem in order to find a solution.

How can I prevent power problems?

To prevent power problems, it is important to use surge protectors for sensitive equipment, avoid overloading circuits, and have regular maintenance checks on electrical systems. In addition, being aware of weather conditions and having backup power sources can also help prevent power problems.

What should I do if I experience a power outage?

If you experience a power outage, the first step is to check if your neighbors have also lost power. If they have, then it is likely a problem with the power grid and you should contact your electricity provider. If only your home has lost power, check your circuit breaker and reset it if necessary. If the problem persists, it may be a sign of a larger issue and you should contact an electrician.

Can power problems be dangerous?

Yes, power problems can be dangerous. Power surges and blackouts can damage electronic devices and appliances, and may even cause fires. It is important to take precautions to prevent power problems and address them promptly if they occur.

What should I do if I am experiencing frequent power problems?

If you are experiencing frequent power problems, it is important to contact a professional electrician to assess the issue. They can identify the root cause of the problem and provide solutions to prevent it from happening in the future. Ignoring recurring power problems can lead to more serious and costly issues.