Power Scaling for My Fictional Universe

In summary, the conversation discusses a fictional universe where power levels are determined by the average power of a human. The scale ranges from 1-5, with 5 being five times the strength of a maximum human. The speaker is trying to figure out a power scale system that starts with the power needed to kill someone with a single punch and goes up to destroying objects like buses, tanks, and even planets. They also discuss the difficulty in calculating these power levels due to various variables.
BriniaSona
In my fictional universe, I have several reaches and transformations and whatnot. Each power level is determined by the average power of a human.

Humans are usually in a power scale of 1-5.

This means that someone can be 5 times the strength of someone at maximum.

Now. I need to figure out some calculations for a power scale system that starts with the power needed to kill someone with a single punch.

This scale continues upwards with things like a Bus, A Tank, the average 2 story 3 bedroom home, a 3 story apartment. A small city, and eventually goes up to things like Earth, Mars, Sun, ect.

Some can be estimated easily while others can't. I'm just looking for a general idea of things.

"If the average human in my story is a 3, and it takes 1 punch to kill a human, how many punches would it take to destroy ""X"" object. if all the punches were combined into one.

This person would have super powers and what not.

Also, how many punches in my universe would equal a 1 ton explosion that would level a small apartment.

This is vague and open but I need help putting the human punch onto a destructive scale

Assume everything is constant, otherwise there are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to many variables.

Physics news on Phys.org
I read somewhere the average human punch is 1000j, which is equal to like 0.0000000002 kt.

is that correct?

BriniaSona said:
a 1 ton explosion that would level a small apartment

Whoa! I think a ton of TNT would level more than an apartment. It might do the whole building.

BriniaSona said:
In my fictional universe, I have several reaches and transformations and whatnot. Each power level is determined by the average power of a human.

Humans are usually in a power scale of 1-5.

This means that someone can be 5 times the strength of someone at maximum.

One important question: what do you mean by strength? Do you mean literal strength where 5 is on the order of a world class weight lifter and 1 is an emaciated elderly person prior to death? If so how are different bodily capabilities taken into account i.e. an olympic sprinter versus a marathon runner?

BriniaSona said:
Now. I need to figure out some calculations for a power scale system that starts with the power needed to kill someone with a single punch.

This scale continues upwards with things like a Bus, A Tank, the average 2 story 3 bedroom home, a 3 story apartment. A small city, and eventually goes up to things like Earth, Mars, Sun, ect.

Some can be estimated easily while others can't. I'm just looking for a general idea of things.

"If the average human in my story is a 3, and it takes 1 punch to kill a human, how many punches would it take to destroy ""X"" object. if all the punches were combined into one.

This person would have super powers and what not.

Also, how many punches in my universe would equal a 1 ton explosion that would level a small apartment.

This is vague and open but I need help putting the human punch onto a destructive scale

Assume everything is constant, otherwise there are WAYYYYYYYYYYYY to many variables.

There are far too many variables; where they are punched, how fast the punch is, how healthy they are, where they were punched on the body (an obese elderly person punched in the leg by a boxing heavyweight is more likely to survive than a healthy twenty year old taking one to the head) etcetera. Perhaps simplify it a bit for yourself by looking into the normal distribution of a variety of human traits and mapping against that.

YEah, strength is like that, 1 is a weak child or elderly person, and 5 is like the best humanity has. A skilled boxer, a 512kg weight lifter.

As for where the punch is, I'd say the head. I'm just trying to make a simple power scale, but have taken it way too far.

1. How do I determine the power scale for my fictional universe?

The power scale for a fictional universe is typically determined by the capabilities and limitations of the characters and technology within that universe. Consider the scope of their abilities and how they compare to each other. Also, think about the consequences of their actions and how they impact the world around them.

2. Can I have multiple power scales within my fictional universe?

Yes, it is possible to have multiple power scales within a fictional universe. This can add depth and complexity to your world, as long as it is consistent and makes sense in the context of your story.

3. How can I make my power scaling realistic and believable?

To make your power scaling realistic and believable, it is important to establish rules and limitations for your characters and their abilities. Consistency is key - make sure their powers and strengths are not constantly changing or being conveniently used to fit the plot. Also, think about the consequences of using these powers and how they can impact the characters and their world.

4. Should I use numerical values to measure power levels in my fictional universe?

This is ultimately up to personal preference and the needs of your story. Using numerical values can help establish a clear hierarchy of power, but it can also limit the imagination and creativity of your readers. Consider using descriptive language or categories instead of numerical values.

5. How can I avoid power scaling inconsistencies in my writing?

To avoid power scaling inconsistencies, it is important to have a solid understanding of your characters and their abilities. Keep track of their strengths and weaknesses, and make sure they are not suddenly overpowered or underpowered without explanation. Also, have a clear understanding of the power scale in your universe and how it relates to your characters and their actions.