What are the drawbacks of incorporating hydrogen into electric powertrains?

• Thread starter Angry Citizen
  • Start date
In summary, the idea of using an on-board electrolysis unit to convert water into hydrogen and oxygen and storing it as a backup fuel for a hydrogen-augmented electric powertrain is an interesting concept. However, there are challenges such as safe storage of hydrogen at high pressure and the need for high power charging capabilities, which may require significant investment and development in infrastructure.
Angry Citizen
I'm afraid this is bare of proper engineering, but I have a question as a temporary layman (I'm in engineering school now, but still pretty much a freshman). In the Chevy Volt, the powertrain is electric, with a gasoline motor that charges the battery in order to provide an order of magnitude greater range. My question is, why can't this be extended to hydrogen?

I'm thinking about an on-board electrolysis unit that could convert water (with added electrolytes) into hydrogen and oxygen while the battery was being charged, and storing the constituents as a backup fuel similar to the Volt. What are the disadvantages of a hydrogen-augmented electric powertrain? I don't think the electrolysis unit itself would be very heavy or costly. Could it be the necessary current? Water with an electrolytic substance (such as an acid or the addition of a salt) can be electrolyzed fairly easily, but I'm not sure at what rate it can be electrolyzed by a typical household current. Is it the storage of gaseous hydrogen? I'm curious about any research on this subject.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Angry Citizen said:
I'm afraid this is bare of proper engineering, but I have a question as a temporary layman (I'm in engineering school now, but still pretty much a freshman). In the Chevy Volt, the powertrain is electric, with a gasoline motor that charges the battery in order to provide an order of magnitude greater range. My question is, why can't this be extended to hydrogen?

I'm thinking about an on-board electrolysis unit that could convert water (with added electrolytes) into hydrogen and oxygen while the battery was being charged, and storing the constituents as a backup fuel similar to the Volt. What are the disadvantages of a hydrogen-augmented electric powertrain? I don't think the electrolysis unit itself would be very heavy or costly. Could it be the necessary current? Water with an electrolytic substance (such as an acid or the addition of a salt) can be electrolyzed fairly easily, but I'm not sure at what rate it can be electrolyzed by a typical household current. Is it the storage of gaseous hydrogen? I'm curious about any research on this subject.

I like this idea. Consider your idea stolen.

The wiki article is a pretty good synopsis of the pros and cons; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle"

But as always, be wary of detractors. They are usually heavily invested in companies that would not benefit from such a wonderful new idea.

I suppose I should give you my thoughts regarding your system.

I would collect the oxygen as well as the hydrogen. It is my understanding that hydrogen burns much hotter than most other fuels, and the nitrogen in air would form pollutants at an alarming rate. Burning pure hydrogen and oxygen would produce no NOx pollutants.

There's a graph on the following page: http://www.alentecinc.com/papers/NOx/The formation of NOx_files/The formation of NOx.htm

that shows NOx production rising rapidly after the temperature reaches 2800°F.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adiabatic_flame_temperature" states that hydrogen burns with a flame temperature of 4000°F and 5800°F for air and hydrogen, respectively.

Aha! And from my very first thread:

OmCheeto said:
He did in the paper provide one number I was looking for; the temperature of combustion: 4000'F

Which was for a gasoline engine.

hmmm... Maybe collecting the oxygen isn't that important.

But then again, with a 5800°F flame temperature, the carnot efficiency of the pure H2 O2 engine would be higher. But we'd probably opt for a ceramic turbine. I don't know that a conventional reciprocating metal engine could withstand such temperatures.

And my apologies for overloading on the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic" quotes;
In the early 1980s, Toyota researched production of an adiabatic ceramic engine which can run at a temperature of over 6000 °F

I'm very lazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Angry Citizen said:
What are the disadvantages of a hydrogen-augmented electric powertrain? I don't think the electrolysis unit itself would be very heavy or costly.

Safe storage of a useful amount of hydrogen (or even worse, a 2:1 mixture of H2 and O2) at high pressure would be costly.

Could it be the necessary current? Water with an electrolytic substance (such as an acid or the addition of a salt) can be electrolyzed fairly easily, but I'm not sure at what rate it can be electrolyzed by a typical household current.

From conservation of energy, something that plugs into the normal household supply in the UK is limited to a power of 3kW. So if you wanted a 30kW (40HP) power boost available for 1 hour, ignoring energy losses in the complete system you would need 10 hours charging time. Realistically, probably 50% or 100% longer than that.

That could be changed by developing a new standard for high power electrical connections (and modifying existing house wiring to use it) but that wouldn't be a cheap option, either.

1. What are the potential safety concerns associated with using hydrogen in electric powertrains?

One of the main drawbacks of incorporating hydrogen into electric powertrains is the potential safety concerns. Hydrogen is a highly flammable gas and can be explosive if not handled properly. This means that the storage, transportation, and refueling processes for hydrogen fuel must be carefully managed to avoid accidents. Additionally, hydrogen fuel cells can produce heat and water vapor, which may also pose safety risks if not properly controlled.

2. How does the cost of incorporating hydrogen into electric powertrains compare to other alternative fuels?

The cost of incorporating hydrogen into electric powertrains is currently higher than other alternative fuels, such as gasoline or diesel. This is due to the relatively new and developing technology of hydrogen fuel cells and the infrastructure needed to support them. However, as technology advances and production scales up, the cost of hydrogen fuel is expected to decrease, making it a more competitive option in the future.

3. Are there any environmental concerns associated with using hydrogen in electric powertrains?

While using hydrogen as a fuel source for electric powertrains produces no emissions, there are still potential environmental concerns to consider. The production of hydrogen fuel can be energy-intensive and may rely on non-renewable sources, leading to a high carbon footprint. Additionally, the process of extracting hydrogen from natural gas can result in the release of greenhouse gases. These environmental impacts must be carefully managed and mitigated in order to fully realize the benefits of hydrogen as a clean fuel source.

4. What challenges are present in developing a widespread infrastructure for hydrogen fuel?

Incorporating hydrogen into electric powertrains requires a robust and widespread infrastructure for production, storage, and distribution of the fuel. This presents several challenges, including the high cost of building and maintaining hydrogen fueling stations, as well as the need for specialized equipment and training for handling and transporting hydrogen. Furthermore, the limited availability of hydrogen fueling stations can limit the practicality and accessibility of using hydrogen in electric powertrains.

5. How does the efficiency of hydrogen fuel cells compare to traditional internal combustion engines?

One of the main advantages of using hydrogen in electric powertrains is its high efficiency. Hydrogen fuel cells are capable of converting up to 60% of the energy in hydrogen into electricity, while traditional internal combustion engines typically have an efficiency of around 20%. This means that hydrogen-powered vehicles can travel further on the same amount of fuel, making them a more sustainable option in the long run. However, the production and transportation of hydrogen fuel can still result in energy losses, so the overall efficiency of the system must be carefully considered.