Calling in all Electrical Engineers- Final Year Project help needed

In summary, the conversation is about a final year project involving a hydrogen fuel cell that charges car batteries. The fuel cell has an output of 1289W and the job in the project is to regulate the DC current to a constant value. Suggestions were made to use a large bank of capacitors and a buck converter to regulate charging the batteries, along with the possibility of adding a blocking diode or a contactor/relay. It was also mentioned that the fuel cell may have a non-linear V-to-I function that needs to be accounted for in order to extract maximum power.
jkf1192
Calling in all Electrical Engineers- Final Year Project help needed!

I needed some help from you guys regarding my Final year project.

Basically my project is about a hydrogen fuel cell that charges the batteries in cars, its a hybrid system. The fuel cell is PEMFC (proton exchange membrane fuel cell) and we have around 50 cells in stack.

The Fuel Cell we are using has an output of 1289W +/- 30W (@33A)(continuous), with an OCV of 60V and a Max current of 40A.

My job in the project is line conditioning... the idea is the DC current that comes out the fuel cell is either too high or is fluctuating i need to remove the fluctuations and bring it down to a constant value in order to charge the batteries.

I need some ideas like what device to use and how can the current be brought down to a specific value. Really appreciate your help :)

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org

Let the FC charge a relatively large bank of capacitors, and then use a basic buck converter to regulate charging the batteries.

Windadct said:
Let the FC charge a relatively large bank of capacitors, and then use a basic buck converter to regulate charging the batteries.

Thanks mate!

Oh - depending on the buck circuit you may want a blocking diode in there so the batteries to not back feed the FC, or a contactor/ relay.

Switching regulator, without the large capacitor bank.
The interesting part is that most battery technologies want a subtle detection of their end of charge, some want a limit on the charge current, and your fuel cell has probably a non-linear V-to-I function which you regulator must know or identify in order to extract the maximum power from them; you may adapt the methods used for Solar cells.

1. What is the purpose of the "Calling in all Electrical Engineers- Final Year Project help needed" project?

The purpose of this project is to seek assistance from electrical engineers in completing a final year project. The project may involve designing, testing, or troubleshooting electrical systems or components.

2. How can I get involved in the "Calling in all Electrical Engineers- Final Year Project help needed" project?

If you are an electrical engineer, you can get involved by contacting the project organizer and expressing your interest. You may be asked to provide your expertise, guidance, or feedback on the project.

3. Is this project open to all electrical engineers, or only final year students?

This project is open to all electrical engineers, regardless of their level of study. However, the project specifically targets final year students who may need assistance in completing their final year project.

4. What are the benefits of participating in the "Calling in all Electrical Engineers- Final Year Project help needed" project?

By participating in this project, you will have the opportunity to apply your knowledge and skills to a real-world project. You will also gain experience working in a team and collaborating with other engineers.

5. How much time commitment is required for the "Calling in all Electrical Engineers- Final Year Project help needed" project?

The time commitment required for this project will vary depending on your level of involvement. You may be asked to attend meetings, provide feedback, or contribute to the design or testing process. The project organizer will communicate the time commitment required for each task.