1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pre University Mech Eng maths prep

1. Jul 20, 2015 #1
    Hello there,

I'm currently waiting on results from my A2 exams as well as AS retakes so I can then find out whether I'm going to Plymouth Uni for Mech Eng with a Foundation Year. I don't know how many people on here are veterans of a Foundation Year for Engineering but considering the fact I haven't done much maths for about two years now i would like to know what would be the best areas to prep up for or attempt to get my head round in regards to the potential Maths work before I start the foundation year and what resources would benefit my preparations?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2015 #2

Matternot

Gold Member

The generally important topics would include calculus & differential equations, vectors & matrices, probability, basic analysis (convergence & limits)

4. Jul 20, 2015 #3

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The above but certainly also applied maths . Statics , dynamics , electrical theory and more .

Also if you are not too computer literate study simple programming , spread sheets , visual modelling and CAD .

5. Jul 20, 2015 #4

Nidum

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

But don't worry too much and overdo the pre study - foundation year is usually fairly easy going and you can do it all again in year following so you should be able to start from basics without too much trouble .

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook