Pre-university physics study group (calculus based)

In summary, the conversation discusses the challenges faced by students in high school physics classes, particularly in understanding the beauty of the subject due to the lack of calculus education. The internet provides resources for self-study in both physics and calculus, but finding reliable sources and study groups can be difficult. The forum being discussed is a valuable resource for students to find textbooks, expertise, and advice, but it is important for students to accurately describe their problems and do some research before asking for help.
thorbjorn
So here is a problem (more of a dilemma) I encountered in my mandatory physics class [(high school level) i say mandatory since I take an other optional calculus based one], many students are often mislead for example in kinematics the equations are very clunkily derived and when you finish attending a rather beautiful combinatorics class where everything is so magnificently shown and you then have to go to a physics class where everything is dumbed down, this causes many who have a passion for math, and naturally try to delve in what i would consider the more elegant side of applied maths, to loss all interest in physics.

So although i try to show my friends, who love math but despise physics, the beauty of physics if you don't hinder yourself with abstaining from using any calculus, but sadly most people in high school never get the privilege of getting calculus courses in high school, so by extension they cannot fully understand the beauty of physics... but there is an alternative!

The internet.
Although resources like khan academy are great for calculus, but not physics! I personally thought (while in middle school) that khan academy could give me a free path through physics till uni, and while for math it is amazing, not for physics, mainly cause while going through the topics he sometimes slips calculus in for example in electrical fields but then again he says nothing of the sort for conservation of momentum...

But never fear! there are hundreds of others sites and books that not only help for physics, but also calculus (since i hated khan academy for introduction calculus), but where are those sites? and where are those people in high school that tell you where those books and sites are? where are the study groups that help you with the complicated problems? They are all in Universities! That is exactly my point, why not just start one here?

Science news on Phys.org
thorbjorn said:
But never fear! there are hundreds of others sites and books that not only help for physics, but also calculus (since i hated khan academy for introduction calculus), but where are those sites? and where are those people in high school that tell you where those books and sites are? where are the study groups that help you with the complicated problems? They are all in Universities! That is exactly my point, why not just start one here?
Not sure what you intend to do. This forum is basically just all that:
  • a place, where you can ask for reliable textbooks or other sources
  • a place, where you can find expertise on your problems: physics as well as mathematics, engineering and even biology and chemistry
  • a place, where you can discuss the problems you face while studying STEM
  • a place, where you can get competent advice for questions around your (academic) career building
  • a place with a large fund of existing discussions on nearly everything, plus our "INSIGHTS" section with specific articles, including many of how to self-study
So, don't we already match all of the above? Of course, the basic premise is a precise description of where one stands and what the problem is. That's why we insist to use our homework template. The better prepared a question is, the better will be the answer. And you won't find a group on the internet, i.e. spread all over the world, whose members all read the same book. It might need some energy to do some research on your own, e.g. using our two search functions (one for the threads and one for the insight articles) or at least have a look on Wikipedia beforehand, as nobody wants to spend time to answer, e.g. the exact value of the speed of light in a vacuum. However, I bet that even this could be found somewhere on PF. You will be surprised what can be found by using the forum searches.

1. What is a pre-university physics study group?

A pre-university physics study group is a group of students who come together to study physics at the high school or early college level. This group is usually led by an instructor or tutor and focuses on concepts and topics that are covered in calculus-based physics courses.

2. Why is the study group focused on calculus-based physics?

Calculus-based physics is a more advanced level of physics that requires a strong understanding of calculus, a branch of mathematics. Many universities and colleges require students to take calculus-based physics courses as part of their degree programs in science, engineering, and other related fields.

3. Who can join the pre-university physics study group?

Typically, the study group is open to high school students who have a strong interest in physics and want to prepare for college-level courses. However, some groups may also accept early college students who are looking to enhance their understanding and skills in physics.

4. What are the benefits of joining a pre-university physics study group?

Joining a pre-university physics study group can have several benefits. It allows students to enhance their understanding of physics concepts, improve their problem-solving skills, and prepare for college-level courses. It also provides a supportive and collaborative learning environment, where students can discuss and clarify concepts with their peers and instructor.

5. How can I join a pre-university physics study group?

If your school or community does not have a pre-university physics study group, you can reach out to local tutoring centers or colleges to inquire about any study groups they may offer. You can also consider starting one with a group of interested classmates or friends, or even seek online study groups through social media or specialized tutoring websites.