Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prediction interval for generalized linear model

1. Jul 19, 2013 #1
    I am currently working on a prediction problem using generalized linear model, My goal is to get the prediction distribution of the response variable.

I read a thread (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/033165.html) saying the prediction uncertainty of a generalized linear model can be obtained by simulation, but I couldn't find any description of the procedure. Can anyone please help me on this?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 19, 2013 #2

chiro

Science Advisor

Hey Rizer.

What is your GLM model specifically? What distributions and link functions are you using?

4. Jul 19, 2013 #3
    Hi Chiro

My current model uses Gamma distribution and a reciprocal link function. I think the same simulation procedure can be applied to any distribution-link function pairs? Or are there standard analytical forms for the commonly used pairs? Thanks

5. Jul 19, 2013 #4

chiro

Science Advisor

Are you trying to estimate a set of parameters from your data or are you just trying to run a simulation of specific distributions (and possibly their parameters) to get some parameters (like mean, variance, etc)?

6. Jul 20, 2013 #5
    I am trying to estimate the response variables from the newly observed predictors. I have built the GLM using R and Matlab, but I have no idea how to get the prediction interval/distribution for the response variable.

7. Jul 20, 2013 #6

chiro

Science Advisor

In a GLM you estimate specific parameters: in particular, you measure the mean that is involved in the link function and you also estimate co-efficients that correspond to predictors in the linear model.

There is some theory that is used that allows one to obtain the estimate of the mean and the co-efficients using matrix algebra and iterative techniques and if you are needing to implement custom code yourself, you might want to look at either a book on GLM's or perhaps the R code that implements these techniques.

If you are estimating the response through a GLM, then you would have already decided some constraints for the response variable (in terms of its distribution and link function).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook