Prediction interval for generalized linear model

In summary, a prediction interval for a generalized linear model is a range of values that is likely to include the true value of a future observation. It takes into account both the uncertainty in the model's parameters and the variability in the data. It can be calculated using the model's predicted values and the estimated standard error. Prediction intervals are useful for assessing the accuracy of predictions and for identifying potential outliers in the data. They are commonly used in regression analysis and can be adjusted for different levels of confidence.
Rizer
I am currently working on a prediction problem using generalized linear model, My goal is to get the prediction distribution of the response variable.

I read a thread (https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2003-May/033165.html) saying the prediction uncertainty of a generalized linear model can be obtained by simulation, but I couldn't find any description of the procedure. Can anyone please help me on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey Rizer.

What is your GLM model specifically? What distributions and link functions are you using?

Hi Chiro

My current model uses Gamma distribution and a reciprocal link function. I think the same simulation procedure can be applied to any distribution-link function pairs? Or are there standard analytical forms for the commonly used pairs? Thanks

Are you trying to estimate a set of parameters from your data or are you just trying to run a simulation of specific distributions (and possibly their parameters) to get some parameters (like mean, variance, etc)?

I am trying to estimate the response variables from the newly observed predictors. I have built the GLM using R and Matlab, but I have no idea how to get the prediction interval/distribution for the response variable.

In a GLM you estimate specific parameters: in particular, you measure the mean that is involved in the link function and you also estimate co-efficients that correspond to predictors in the linear model.

There is some theory that is used that allows one to obtain the estimate of the mean and the co-efficients using matrix algebra and iterative techniques and if you are needing to implement custom code yourself, you might want to look at either a book on GLM's or perhaps the R code that implements these techniques.

If you are estimating the response through a GLM, then you would have already decided some constraints for the response variable (in terms of its distribution and link function).

1. What is a prediction interval for a generalized linear model?

A prediction interval for a generalized linear model is a range of values that can be used to estimate the possible outcomes of future observations. It takes into account both the uncertainty in the model's predictions and the variability in the data.

2. How is a prediction interval different from a confidence interval?

A prediction interval is used to estimate the range of values for a future observation, while a confidence interval is used to estimate the range of values for a population parameter. A prediction interval is wider than a confidence interval because it takes into account the variability in the data, not just the uncertainty in the model.

3. How is a prediction interval calculated?

A prediction interval for a generalized linear model is calculated by adding and subtracting a certain number of standard deviations from the predicted value. The number of standard deviations is determined by the level of confidence desired and the variability in the data.

4. Why is it important to calculate a prediction interval for a generalized linear model?

A prediction interval is important because it provides a more accurate estimate of the possible outcomes of future observations. It takes into account the uncertainty in the model's predictions and the variability in the data, which can help to avoid overconfidence in the model's predictions.

5. Can a prediction interval be used for any type of data?

A prediction interval can be used for any type of data, as long as the generalized linear model is appropriate for the data. However, it may not be as accurate for data that is highly skewed or has extreme outliers. In these cases, it may be better to use a different method for estimating the range of values for future observations.