1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Support PF! Reminder for those going back to school to buy their text books via PF Here!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preliminary SMSG texts vs Gelfand vs UCSMP?

1. Aug 22, 2011 #1
    Hey all. I was hoping that Mathwonk might be able to comment on these. I found these SMSG preliminary texts via Google Scholar. There's a link below but if you want to check for yourself, enter "intermediate mathematics frank allen smsg" into Google Scholar. Should come up as the first two or three links. I was just wondering if a Print Centre would be able to print and bind these or does the copyright stamp on the second page/book cover page forbid it?

http://eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/se...ERICExtSearch_SearchType_0=no&accno=ED173087"

Also, if one of the mentors or senior members could comment on this, how do the Gelfand books compare to SMSG? The reason I ask is that I'm looking for a rigorous textbook series that can either replace, or at the least supplement the James Stewart Precalculus and a couple Hirsch Goodman algebra texts I have. Does anyone know how the University of Chicago School Mathematics Projects compares to Gelfand or SMSG? Is the UCSMP a "new" SMSG? Thanks very much in advance for responses.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 2, 2011 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook