Preparing for a Master's in Physics after 7 years away from the field

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
member 642325
I just got a taught Master offer in Physics (part-time mode for 2 years) and I don't know what to do...

First of all, I have a BSc in Applied Physics which I graduated in 2011. I study Physics because it is interesting. I felt happy when I got to understand something new (about the universe).

After graduation, I didn't pursue further studyin Physics. Instead, I studied Accounting because in my place (Hong Kong) it is more preferable to get a perofessiona qualification (e.g. lawyer, doctor, accountant etc) to substain your living and have a better career prospect.

I have just gotten my CPA (Certified Public Accountant) license and have been working in the acounting field (on and off) for around 4 years. Honestly, I am not doing very good about my jobs I don't like my job at all (all those clerical works, office politics and girls gossip...). Realistically I will not give up my job (at least not now).

This year, I applied some local taugh master programmes including the MSc in Physics which I didn't think I will get admitted (please don't ask why I still applied it, I was drunk at that time..lol). They usually invite candidates to take a entrance exam and attend interview, instead I have by passed all those and have been offered directly even without a single referee.

I was surprised and its the only taught master offer I have gotten. I think will accept the offer (physics still my interest) though I am not sure I can graduate. I have been leaving the field for so long (almost 7 years), I have forgotten all the maths and most ofo the physics concepts. I don't know how much juice I do I have left.

Nonethless, I still have 6 months before the semester begin. What should I do to catch up the math and physics? Please give me some advices or share of your opinion. It would be gradful if you could give me guidanceor some name of textbooks for my revision and preparation of my coming journey.

Thank you so much.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I would focus on the math as most physics is just constraints to a math problem (ala boundary values or initial values problems).

The mathispower4u.com website could help bring back your memories of math:

www.mathispower4u.com

Mathispower4u has many course sequences from pre-algebra to first year college: Calculus 1,2,3, Linear Algebra, Differential Equations and Statistics. Courses are broken into small 10 minute topics with a problem and its solution. From there you could get some Schaum's Outlines on first year college math.

I also found this Dover book that has solved physics problems from a variety of areas:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486479277/?tag=pfamazon01-20Also you could go back and review your first year college physics and then progress to Classical Mechanics, EM Theory and Quantum Mechanics. Leonard Susskind has created a few book in those areas that may get you to remember things:

The Theoretical Minimum Series:
Classical Mechaincs
Quantum Mechanics
Special Relativity

http://theoreticalminimum.com/

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465075681/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and there's this book that I found recently which is more than a layman's book but less than a course in Quantum Mechanics:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1473602416/?tag=pfamazon01-20Also there are a couple of youtube channels that also could help:

3blue1brown and his Essence of Calculus and Linear Algebra sequences

blackpenredpen and his sequences of calculus problems that you could try before he tells you the answer.

I hope you enjoy the opportunity and hope you do well.
 
Last edited:
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PumpkinCougar95