Preparing for Physics I: Mechanics

In summary, if you are an undergraduate in CS and planning to take a calculus-based physics course in the fall, you should prepare by reading the prerequisites and attempting some of the easier problems in your textbook.
coffeejunky
Hello. I am currently an undergrad in CS. Next semester (fall) I will be taking a calculus-based physics course, that is, classical mechanics, otherwise known as "Physics I: Mechanics", if I am correct on that, (don't yell at me).

I have no prior knowledge of physics other than having taken algebra-based physics back in high school, so I'm a little nervous about what should I expect or how to prepare. However, I'm very confident with my math, having taken two semesters of calculus. I have a full summer coming up, and if some of you would like to share your "wisdom", please do so. How should I prepare for this course, if at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
No prep needed. If you want to be one of the cool kids, start reading Feynman's Lectures on Physics. Free to read here. So long as you find it fascinating, keep reading -- you really can't go wrong.

You should read the prerequisites - generally there is nothing required beyond calculus, which you have. Now, if you want to prepare over the summer for this course, I would suggest going through the material of the course with the textbook used by the course or the Feynman Lectures or Halliday/Resnick or Kleppner & Kolenkow (all of which are standard classical mechanics books requiring nothing more than calculus).

Usually the calculus in such a course is limited to derivative and integrals of polynomials. Also, an understanding that velocity is the derivative of position, acceleration is the derivative of velocity and that velocity is the anti-derivative of acceleration and position is the anti-derivative of velocity. Trig will be needed. You will be drawing diagrams of physical situations and using trig to find lengths given angles and other lengths. Vectors and how they work, add, etc will be done.

If you want a heads up, get your textbook now and go over the topics you will be covering. Also, you can attempt some of the easier problems.

Know basic Trigonometry, and have strong intermediate-level Algebra skills. Calculus for the first semester of your physics is mostly needed for understanding. The second semester of your physics for electricity & magnetism is the one you will use Calculus heavily.

Are parametric equations and conics ever used? I remember that we have never covered that in single-variable and went to introduction of several variables due to lack of time.

Physics 1: Mechanics will use equations for parabolas, circles, and a few for ellipses. Physics 2 & 3 will use conic sections much more heavily.

Be careful about any such condition, "we have never covered that... lack of time". If something was not covered but the course is a prerequisite to a consecutive course, YOU MUST COVER WHAT WAS MISSED YOURSELF! The professor of that consecutive course will not care that something in the prereq was not covered, expecting that it were covered, and will proceed with instruction as if the missed topic were covered in your previous course.

1. What are the key concepts I should review before starting Physics I: Mechanics?

To prepare for Physics I: Mechanics, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebra, trigonometry, and basic calculus. It is also helpful to review the concepts of vectors, kinematics, and forces.

2. How can I practice problem-solving skills for Physics I: Mechanics?

The best way to practice problem-solving skills for Physics I: Mechanics is to solve as many practice problems as possible. You can find practice problems in textbooks, online resources, and also through working on past exams.

3. What are some common misconceptions about mechanics that I should be aware of?

Some common misconceptions about mechanics include the belief that heavier objects always fall faster than lighter objects, and that objects in motion will always stay in motion unless acted upon by an external force. It is important to understand the correct principles of mechanics to avoid these misconceptions.

4. How can I prepare for the mathematical aspects of Physics I: Mechanics?

To prepare for the mathematical aspects of Physics I: Mechanics, it is helpful to review basic algebraic and geometric concepts. It is also important to have a strong understanding of how to set up and solve equations, as this will be a crucial skill in solving physics problems.

5. What resources are available to help me prepare for Physics I: Mechanics?

There are many resources available to help you prepare for Physics I: Mechanics, including textbooks, online tutorials, study groups, and office hours with your professor. It is also helpful to practice solving problems on your own and seeking help when needed.