Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Preservation of a human fetus??

1. Jul 23, 2015 #1
    So my pregnancy recently ended at 10weeks gestation, I am still waiting for my body to realise this and start the process or expelling the fetus and remains of conception.

So any whoo, I was just wondering is it against the law to keep my fetus and preserve it?
    As I feel this will help me grieve rather than burying it, please dont call me sick or twisted I just dont want to let go just yet.

So my other question is what do I preserve the fetus in? I dont have access to ethanol or anything else like that other than vodka, would this work?

Thanks i advance for your help :)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 23, 2015 #2

Evo

Staff: Mentor

At 10 weeks many women don't even know that they are pregnant. The fetus would be the size of a peanut. You wouldn't even find it, sorry but most likely it's gone. How did you miscarry without expelling it?
    http://www.birth.com.au/pregnancy/p...inevitable-miscarriage?view=full#.VbG4QaRViko

If you haven't experienced the normal bleeding, I would strongly encourage you to see your doctor. Perhaps you weren't pregnant and have other issues. Hormonal problems can cause false positives in OTC pregnancy tests, which is why doctors normally perform more definitive tests if a woman thinks she is pregnant.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  4. Jul 23, 2015 #3
    At ten weeks the fetus is around the size of a fig and has arms legs ect it looks like a tiny baby I have had 3 children previously to this one and i had a scan on friday which told me my babys heart had stopped and im just waiting for my body to realise this a expell the fetus, my body hasnt realised what has happend yet and yes I would see it I have misscarried at around this stafe in pregnancy before Have you even see what a ten week fetus looks like? Its not that small suprisingly, the photo attached is the size approx of a fetus at ten weeks gestation

Attached Files:

5. Jul 23, 2015 #4

Evo

No, the 10 week old fetus is the size of a peanut, the surrounding blood clot can make it appear larger.

6. Jul 23, 2015 #5
    Nope I think you will find it is bigger than that, a 6week fetus is the size of a peanut though

7. Jul 23, 2015 #6

Evo

I've quoted the medical source. It's about ~1 1/4 inches from any source you'll find. If you carefully checked all of your discharge at this point you might find it, that's up to you. You can keep it, it's not considered a human/person at this point. Like I said, most get passed unnoticed.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook