Preservation of a human fetus?

• Thread starter kerrie king
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Human
In summary, the conversation revolves around a woman's recent miscarriage at 10 weeks and her desire to preserve the fetus rather than bury it. It is mentioned that the fetus is around the size of a fig at this stage and the woman is waiting for her body to naturally expel it. There is a disagreement about the size of a 10 week old fetus, with one person citing medical sources and the other providing measurements from different sources. It is also mentioned that the woman has had previous miscarriages and may have difficulty in noticing the passing of the fetus. Ultimately, the decision to preserve the fetus is left to the woman.
kerrie king
So my pregnancy recently ended at 10weeks gestation, I am still waiting for my body to realize this and start the process or expelling the fetus and remains of conception.

So any whoo, I was just wondering is it against the law to keep my fetus and preserve it?
As I feel this will help me grieve rather than burying it, please don't call me sick or twisted I just don't want to let go just yet.

So my other question is what do I preserve the fetus in? I don't have access to ethanol or anything else like that other than vodka, would this work?

Thanks i advance for your help :)

Likes gioscott1018
Biology news on Phys.org
kerrie king said:
So my pregnancy recently ended at 10weeks gestation, I am still waiting for my body to realize this and start the process or expelling the fetus and remains of conception.

So any whoo, I was just wondering is it against the law to keep my fetus and preserve it?
As I feel this will help me grieve rather than burying it, please don't call me sick or twisted I just don't want to let go just yet.

So my other question is what do I preserve the fetus in? I don't have access to ethanol or anything else like that other than vodka, would this work?

Thanks i advance for your help :)
At 10 weeks many women don't even know that they are pregnant. The fetus would be the size of a peanut. You wouldn't even find it, sorry but most likely it's gone. How did you miscarry without expelling it?
Complete miscarriage
About 80% of women who experience an inevitable miscarriage during the first 13 weeks of their pregnancy will have a 'complete' miscarriage. This means that their body will deal with it on their own, without the need for medical interventions.

As the woman's body starts to miscarry, her baby and placenta begin to separate from the wall of her uterus. This causes some bleeding but allows blood to form a clot around the relatively small baby and placenta, making it easier for the woman's body to expel them. This natural process causes the physical signs of bleeding, often accompanied by some blood clots (ranging from small ones about 1 to 3 cm in size, to larger ones the size of a golf ball, or occasionally a very large one up to about the size of an orange).

As the woman's cervix opens and her uterus contracts, this allows the blood and clots, baby and placenta to be passed through the vagina. The cervix opening and the uterus contracting also causes mild to moderate cramping and period-like pain. Occasionally the waves of pain will be more severe, or similar to labour pain. The bleeding and cramping will continue until everything has passed. This process may take a few hours or be on and off for a few days. Once the miscarriage is 'complete' the woman's cervix closes and her bleeding eases off over the next few days, stopping in about 1 to 3 weeks.

http://www.birth.com.au/pregnancy/pregnancy-difficulties/miscarriage/inevitable-miscarriage?view=full#.VbG4QaRViko

If you haven't experienced the normal bleeding, I would strongly encourage you to see your doctor. Perhaps you weren't pregnant and have other issues. Hormonal problems can cause false positives in OTC pregnancy tests, which is why doctors normally perform more definitive tests if a woman thinks she is pregnant.

Last edited:
At ten weeks the fetus is around the size of a fig and has arms legs ect it looks like a tiny baby I have had 3 children previously to this one and i had a scan on friday which told me my babys heart had stopped and I am just waiting for my body to realize this a expell the fetus, my body hasnt realized what has happened yet and yes I would see it I have misscarried at around this stafe in pregnancy before Have you even see what a ten week fetus looks like? Its not that small suprisingly, the photo attached is the size approx of a fetus at ten weeks gestation

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 3,821
Likes Kaylee1988
kerrie king said:
At ten weeks the fetus is around the size of a fig and has arms legs ect it looks like a tiny baby I have had 3 children previously to this one and i had a scan on friday which told me my babys heart had stopped and I am just waiting for my body to realize this a expell the fetus, my body hasnt realized what has happened yet and yes I would see it I have misscarried at around this stafe in pregnancy before Have you even see what a ten week fetus looks like? Its not that small suprisingly, the photo attached is the size approx of a fetus at ten weeks gestation
No, the 10 week old fetus is the size of a peanut, the surrounding blood clot can make it appear larger.

Nope I think you will find it is bigger than that, a 6week fetus is the size of a peanut though

kerrie king said:
Nope I think you will find it is bigger than that, a 6week fetus is the size of a peanut though
I've quoted the medical source. It's about ~1 1/4 inches from any source you'll find. If you carefully checked all of your discharge at this point you might find it, that's up to you. You can keep it, it's not considered a human/person at this point. Like I said, most get passed unnoticed.

Last edited:
I have found:
Fetus week 10 (= age week 8): 1.8 cm. Peanut: 2-6 cm. Fig: 3-5 cm
Make your choice.

Seems this argumentation is peanuts.

Likes Karliey

1. How is a human fetus preserved?

There are several methods for preserving a human fetus, including formalin fixation, cryopreservation, and plastination. Formalin fixation involves immersing the fetus in a solution of formaldehyde and water to prevent decomposition. Cryopreservation uses freezing temperatures to preserve the tissue and cells of the fetus. Plastination is a technique that involves replacing the water and fat in the fetus with plastic, which creates a durable and lifelike specimen.

2. Why would someone want to preserve a human fetus?

There are a few reasons why someone might choose to preserve a human fetus. It may be for scientific or medical research purposes, for educational purposes, or for personal reasons such as memorializing a lost pregnancy.

3. Is preserving a human fetus legal?

The legality of preserving a human fetus varies by country and jurisdiction. In most cases, it is legal as long as the proper consent and ethical considerations are followed. However, it is important to consult with local laws and regulations before proceeding with preservation.

4. How long can a human fetus be preserved?

The length of time a human fetus can be preserved depends on the preservation method used. Formalin fixation can preserve a fetus for several years, while cryopreservation and plastination can preserve a fetus for much longer periods, potentially indefinitely.

5. Are there any risks involved in preserving a human fetus?

There are some risks involved in preserving a human fetus, such as exposure to hazardous chemicals in the preservation process or potential damage to the tissue during handling. It is important to follow proper safety protocols and use appropriate protective equipment when handling preserved fetuses. Additionally, there may be ethical considerations to take into account when deciding to preserve a human fetus.