Previously suppressed knowledge to control the masses

In summary, throughout history, there have been numerous instances of suppressing knowledge and technology in order to control the masses. For example, Galileo was placed under house arrest for discovering that Jupiter had moons, and in the past, teaching a "colored" person to read was illegal. Other examples include the suppression of medical knowledge and scientific discoveries, often driven by motives such as financial gain, political power, or maintaining a certain belief or ideology. In modern times, the information surrounding nuclear weapons has been kept suppressed to avoid global annihilation. However, it is important to note that despite these efforts, knowledge and technology have often still managed to spread and evolve.
jake jot
I need in my story some examples of previous knowledges or technology that were once kept suppressed in order to control the masses. For example. Flour (to keep people dependent on fruits or vegetables or produce)? Electricity? concept of Pressure? What can you think of? In modern times, knowledges of nuclear weapons were kept suppressed to avoid global annihilation. But at least we understood concepts of it.

Physics news on Phys.org
jake jot said:
I need in my story some examples of previous knowledges or technology that were once kept suppressed in order to control the masses. For example. Flour (to keep people dependent on fruits or vegetables or produce)? Electricity? concept of Pressure? What can you think of? In modern times, knowledges of nuclear weapons were kept suppressed to avoid global annihilation. But at least we understood concepts of it.
Galileo discovered that Jupiter had moons. He was placed under house arrest.

Likes jake jot
As I recall US history, there were many places where teaching a "colored" person to read was illegal. Written language is a foundational technology.

🗽

Likes jake jot
What else? Besides nuclear weapons?

Were there any medical doctors in the past who were burnt at the stakes? Or scientists?

<Post edited by mentor to remove unsupported allegations that are not germane to this thread.>

Suppression of information should have some kind of benefit to the perpetrator to drive that action. I think would have to be a big effort (involving large numbers of people in society), to be successful.
Targetting a communicationally isolated fraction of a society would be easier.
  • Money (as in proprietary)
  • Political power
  • Power over another person
  • Entrenching a point of view (opposing paradigmatic change, like Copernicus)
Are the reasons I could quickly think of that would seem to be strong enough to generate the activity of large numbers of people to take action.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes jake jot

1. What is "previously suppressed knowledge to control the masses"?

"Previously suppressed knowledge to control the masses" refers to information or ideas that have been intentionally hidden or kept from the general public in order to maintain societal control or power dynamics.

2. How does suppressing knowledge help control the masses?

By limiting access to certain information or ideas, those in positions of power can manipulate and shape the beliefs and behaviors of the general population. This can be used to maintain their control and authority over society.

3. Is there evidence of previously suppressed knowledge being used to control the masses?

Yes, there have been numerous instances throughout history where governments, institutions, and individuals have intentionally withheld information or spread misinformation in order to maintain control over the masses. Examples include censorship, propaganda, and the suppression of scientific discoveries.

4. How can we identify and uncover previously suppressed knowledge?

Identifying and uncovering previously suppressed knowledge can be a difficult and ongoing process. It often requires critical thinking, thorough research, and questioning of authority and mainstream narratives. It is also important to seek out diverse perspectives and sources of information.

5. What can we do to prevent the suppression of knowledge in the future?

To prevent the suppression of knowledge, it is important to promote and protect free speech and open access to information. It is also crucial to critically evaluate information and challenge attempts to control or manipulate the narrative. Educating ourselves and others about the importance of questioning authority and seeking out diverse perspectives can also help prevent the suppression of knowledge.