Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Prime numbers

  1. Jul 22, 2014 #1
    So it was my observation that all the prime numbers I saw ended with digits 1,3,7,9.Is this true for all primes? Is it proved?
     
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 22, 2014 #2
    With an exception to 5
     
  4. Jul 22, 2014 #3

    Char. Limit

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Consider: With the exception of 2, no primes can be even, as if they are even, then they are divisible by 2.

    Therefore, all primes must end in 1, 3, 5, 7, or 9.

    Consider: With the exception of 5, no primes can end in 5, as if they do so, then they are a multiple of 5.

    Therefore, all primes must end in 1, 3, 7, or 9.

    So... yes.

    If you need a proof of either of the considered statements, I'm sure it wouldn't be too difficult.
     
  5. Jul 22, 2014 #4
    bah, beat me to it. :)
     
  6. Jul 22, 2014 #5
    Yeah that was pretty simple :) thanks anyways
     
  7. Jul 22, 2014 #6

    Char. Limit

    User Avatar
    Gold Member

    Simple, maybe, but it's still helpful for prime identification. Considering that just those two little rules invalidate over 60% of all natural numbers from being prime, it allows you (or a computer) to focus more easily upon the other 40%.
     
  8. Jul 22, 2014 #7
  9. Jul 22, 2014 #8

    micromass

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

    Interesting. This means to me that there are about as many primes that end in 3, as there are primes that end in 1 (or 7 or 9). I wonder if this has been proven.
     
  10. Jul 22, 2014 #9

    micromass

    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook




Similar Discussions: Prime numbers
  1. Prime Numbers (Replies: 6)

  2. Prime Number (Replies: 15)

  3. Prime numbers (Replies: 12)

Loading...