1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Primitive roots - annoying problem

1. May 11, 2008 #1
    Let [tex]r[/tex] be a primitive root of a prime number [tex]p \geq 3[/tex]. Prove that if [tex]p \equiv 1 (mod 4)[/tex], then [tex]-r[/tex] is also a primitive root of [tex]p[/tex].

I've been told it's quite easy, but I can't see why it's true for the life of me :frown:

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2008 #2
    If r is a primitive root, then r^[(p-1)/2] is not equal to 1. The question is about -r.

4. May 11, 2008 #3
    thanks for the reply :smile:
    if r is a primitve root then r^[(p-1)/2] is -1 (mod p). However, (-r)^[(p-1)/2] is the same since (p-1)/2 is even, am I right?

Where do we go from here? Maybe I could say that the order of (-r) couldn't be lower than (p-1), because if it was so, ord(-r)|(p-1)/2 and then (-r)^[(p-1)/2]=1(mod p) contradicting the fact that p [tex]\neq[/tex] 2?
    Am I on the right track?

Thanks again! :smile:

5. May 11, 2008 #4
    Richard Cypher: Am I on the right track?

Sounds O.K. to me. Take, (-r)^2 = r^2, well then what power is necessry to raise r^2 to 1?

6. May 11, 2008 #5
    OK, I got it!
    Bunch of thanks for your help!:biggrin:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?