1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability: Permutations/Combinations

1. Jan 17, 2012 #1
    I'm having a hard time understanding how to derive the # ways to do things.

(a) A course has 4 sections with no limit on how many can enrol in each section. 3 students each pick a section at random.

(i) Specify Sample Space S (64?)
    (ii)Find the probability that they all end up in the same section (3C1 /64 = 3/64??)
    (iii) Find the probability that they all end up in different sections (3P3/64 = 6/64 ??)
    (iv) Find the probability that nobody picks section 1 ( 3C2 * 2! / 64 = 6/64??)

(b) Repeat (a) in the case where there are n sections and s students.

Can someone please help me derive their answers of how they get the # of ways to do each. Thanks a lot!

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 18, 2012 #2
    I suggest, first, that you check the top thread on how to present a homework problem. Or look at the standard layout used by most others.

For your probability answer, don't forget there are 4 sections, not 3. And a little more explanation of your thinking would help others to help you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook