Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Probability transitions for branching process

1. Feb 27, 2012 #1

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

Working through a paper that uses this result about branching processes. Can't seem to figure out a way to connect the dots. Anyone have any suggestions?

Let Zt be a branching process where each individual gives birth to a single offspring at rate β > 1 and dies at rate 1. The transition probabilities for Zt can be computed exactly and are given by

[tex]P_{10}(t) = \frac{1 - e^{-(\beta-1)t}}{\beta - e^{-(\beta-1)t}}[/tex]
    [tex]P_{1k}(t) = (1 - P_{10}(t))(1 - \eta(t))\eta(t)^{k-1}[/tex]
    [tex]\eta(t) = \frac{1 - e^{-(\beta-1)t}}{1 - \frac{1}{\beta}e^{-(\beta-1)t}}[/tex]

I know that P1i satisfy the following system of equations

[tex] P_i'(t) = Q P(t) [/tex]

Where Q is the transition rate matrix (i think that's what it's called) and is given by

[tex] Q = \left(
    \begin{array}{ccccc}
    0 & 1 & 0 & \ldots & \\
    0 & -(1+\beta ) & 2 & \ddots & \vdots \\
    0 & \beta & -2(1+\beta ) & 3 & \\
    \vdots & \ddots & 2\beta & -3(1+\beta)& \ddots \\
    & \ldots & & \ddots & \ddots \\
    \end{array}
    \right) [/tex]

I have verified the above solution works, but I'm not sure how one would have gotten it. Any ideas?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 27, 2012 #2

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

Oh sorry, the IC is pi(0) =δi1

4. Feb 28, 2012 #3

kai_sikorski

Gold Member

Oh I figured it out, mostly

Let G be the generating function for Zt

[itex] G[s,t] = p_{10}(t) + p_{11}(t)s + p_{12}(t)s^2 + ... [/itex]

By using the differential equations for the ps, and manipulating some indices you can get a PDE for G

[itex] \partial_t G[s,t]-(1-s(1+\beta))+\beta s^2) \partial_s G[s,t] = 0[/itex]
    [itex] G[s,0] = s [/itex]

I can plug this into DSolve and it gives the right answer. However I'm having some trouble doing the method of characteristics on this. For the family of characteristics I get

[itex] s[t] = \frac{e^{t \beta +c}+e^{t+\beta c}}{e^{t \beta +c}+e^{t+\beta c} \beta }[/itex]

But I don't know how to pick c, so that I can set an initial condition on s[t]. Any ideas?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook