Probability: what are the chances of shooting a target at least once?

In summary: I remember one of the things they talked about a lot was the binomial distribution. For those not familiar with it, it's a probability distribution that describes the number of successes in a set of n trials with a probability of p of success (where 0\leq p\leq 1). If you miss all of them, won't it become 4 possibilities?@Mentallic: nice, you guessed the right game. Also, it's cool that you generalized it.
ainster31

Homework Statement

This is actually from a game that I play online so sorry for the crude question. I have a gun with 3 bullets and 3 targets. The gun randomly shoots the targets. What is the probability that I'll hit target A at least once?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

P(hitting target A at least once)
=1 - P(all 3 bullets hitting target A)
=1 - (1/3)*(1/3)*(1/3)
=1 - 1/9
=8/9

So there is a 8/9 probability of hitting target A at least once. I just wanted to make sure that this is correct.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand your logic. Certainly "all three bullets hitting A" would be an example "hitting A at least once". You should have, rather 1 minus the probability of NO bullets hitting A.
(Also, (1/3)(1/3)(1/3)= 1/27, not 1/9.)

HallsofIvy said:
I don't understand your logic. Certainly "all three bullets hitting A" would be an example "hitting A at least once". You should have, rather 1 minus the probability of NO bullets hitting A.
(Also, (1/3)(1/3)(1/3)= 1/27, not 1/9.)

How about now?

=1 - P(no bullets hitting target A)
=1 - (2/3)*(2/3)*(2/3)
=1 - 8/27
=27/27 - 8/27
=19/27

ainster31 said:
How about now?

=1 - P(no bullets hitting target A)
=1 - (2/3)*(2/3)*(2/3)
=1 - 8/27
=27/27 - 8/27
=19/27

That works.

ainster31 said:

Homework Statement

This is actually from a game that I play online so sorry for the crude question. I have a gun with 3 bullets and 3 targets. The gun randomly shoots the targets. What is the probability that I'll hit target A at least once?

This game wouldn't happen to be HEarth'stone? Of the little I've seen of that game, I have witnessed random shots being taken with certain cards being drawn.

You can also extend the problem to shooting k times with n targets. Hitting a specific target at least p times where [itex]0\leq p \leq k[/itex] is described by the binomial distribution function, so depending on whether p is closer to 0 or k depends on which following formula you would use:

[tex]P(\text{hit specific target at least p times})[/tex]
For p close to 0:
[tex]= 1-\sum_{i=0}^{p-1}\binom{k}{i}\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^i\left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^{k-i}[/tex]

and for p close to k:
[tex]= \sum_{i=p}^{k}\binom{k}{i}\left(\frac{1}{n}\right)^i\left(1-\frac{1}{n}\right)^{k-i}[/tex]

If you miss all of them, won't it become 4 possibilities?

@Mentallic: nice, you guessed the right game. Also, it's cool that you generalized it.

ainster31 said:
@Mentallic: nice, you guessed the right game. Also, it's cool that you generalized it.

I was a big Blizzard fan back in the Diablo 2 days :smile:

1. What is probability and how is it calculated?

Probability is the measure of the likelihood that a certain event will occur. It is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes.

2. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes a perfect, random world. Experimental probability is based on actual observations and data from an experiment or real-life situation.

3. How do you calculate the probability of shooting a target at least once?

To calculate the probability of shooting a target at least once, you need to know the total number of shots fired and the number of successful hits on the target. Then, divide the number of successful hits by the total number of shots fired.

4. How does the size of the target affect the probability of hitting it at least once?

The size of the target can affect the probability of hitting it at least once. A larger target may have a higher probability of being hit, as there is a greater area for the shot to land. However, this also depends on the accuracy and skill of the shooter.

5. What other factors can affect the probability of hitting a target at least once?

Other factors that can affect the probability of hitting a target at least once include the distance to the target, the type of weapon being used, the weather conditions, and the skill and experience of the shooter. These factors can all impact the accuracy and success of hitting the target.