Problem For Structure of Nuclei - Enigmatic

In summary, the question asks for the calculation of the distance of closest approach for a head on collision between a 5.30Mev alpha particle and a copper atom. This is done using Coulomb's law and converting between units of MeV and joules. The resulting answer is 1.4 * 10^-6.
aliz_khanz
Problem For Structure of Nuclei -- Enigmatic !

Question :- calculate the distance of closest apprach for a head on collision between 5.30Mev alpha particle and nucleus of a copper atom?

Answer
The distance of closest
approach is given by

d= _______qQ_______
4*pie*e0*K base alpha

= ____________2*29*(1.60*10^-19C)^2_______
4*3.142*8.85*10^-12C^2/Nm^2*5.30MeV*1.60*10^-13J/MeV

= 1.4 * 10^ -6 aNSWER...

NOW I AM CONFUSED HERE ABOUT ONE THING AND ITS EATING ME ALIVE...FROM WHERE DID 1.60*10^-13J/MeV CAME ? I HAVE USED COLUMB'S LAW !

Physics news on Phys.org

its the conversion between MeV and joules. Both are energy units.

aliz_khanz said:
FROM WHERE DID 1.60*10^-13J/MeV CAME ? I HAVE USED COLUMB'S LAW !

It's the fundamental charge, e, expressed in unusual units.

What is the problem with the structure of nuclei?

The problem with the structure of nuclei is that it is not fully understood. Scientists have been studying nuclei for centuries, but there are still many questions and mysteries surrounding their composition and behavior.

Why is the study of nuclei important?

The study of nuclei is important because they are the building blocks of atoms, which are the building blocks of all matter in the universe. Understanding the structure of nuclei can help us understand the fundamental laws of physics and how the universe works.

What are some current theories about the structure of nuclei?

There are several theories about the structure of nuclei, including the nuclear shell model and the liquid drop model. These theories attempt to explain the arrangement of protons and neutrons within the nucleus and how they interact with each other.

What are some challenges in studying nuclei?

One of the main challenges in studying nuclei is that they are very small and difficult to observe directly. Scientists must use advanced technologies and mathematical models to study their behavior and properties. Additionally, the strong forces that hold the nucleus together make it difficult to manipulate and experiment with.

How does the study of nuclei impact other fields of science?

The study of nuclei has implications for many other fields of science, including nuclear physics, astrophysics, and chemistry. It can also impact technology, such as nuclear power and medical imaging. Understanding the structure of nuclei can also lead to new discoveries and innovations in these fields.