Problem opening certain threads in Safari

• Bug
  • Thread starter DrClaude
  • Start date
In summary, users are experiencing problems opening certain threads in Safari (version 11.1, 13605.1.33.1.2, MacOS 10.13.4). This issue is related to the LaTeX formulas used on the page and has been reported to the developers. Some users have found that disabling the Fast Preview option in the settings has solved the issue. MathJax has released an update to address the Safari issues, which has been implemented on the site. Users are reporting that the issue seems to have been resolved.
DrClaude
Mentor
I'm having problems opening certain threads in Safari (version 11.1, 13605.1.33.1.2, MacOS 10.13.4). The page appears to reload itself a few times, then it stops with an error message "A problem repeatedly occurred with" and then the address of the page, for instance
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/diagonalization-of-matrix.943989/

I can load the same page without problems on the same computer using Firefox (59.0.2).

Physics news on Phys.org
I just tried it with Safari on my iPad; worked OK. However, certain page content is not displayed on all devices, so that is not a conclusive test. Are you using Safari on a desktop?

Likes baldbrain
anorlunda said:
Are you using Safari on a desktop?
Yes, that's why I specified the version of MacOS :smile:

Loads fine with Safari on my phone.

Is it related to the LaTeX formulas?

That page opened fine here with the same version of Safari and macOS. I run into the problem, however, with Safari on my iPad and iPhone.

Last edited:
vela said:
That page opened fine here with the same version of Safari and macOS. I run into the problem, however, with Safari on my iPad.
And for me it's working fine with iPad and Safari...

Another bug in Safari: when visiting the page https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/path-integrals-in-quantum-theory.944350/, I get
bug.jpeg

Attachments

• bug.jpeg
    bug.jpeg
    8.7 KB · Views: 685
Is anyone doing anything to figure out what's wrong, and fix it? It's pretty much impossible to read most posts. Whenever the ## signs are used, the rest of the text on that line does not show.
The problem appears in Safari 11.4 on iPad.
I have an old iPad with version 9.3.5 and while it takes some time and a redraw, it ends up fine.

SlowThinker said:
Is anyone doing anything to figure out what's wrong, and fix it?
We use MathJax for the equations and have let the devs know. There is some discussion from them. It appears Safari is deviating from some standards. I would switch to FF or Chrome for the time being.

DrClaude said:
I'm having problems opening certain threads in Safari (version 11.1, 13605.1.33.1.2, MacOS 10.13.4). The page appears to reload itself a few times, then it stops with an error message "A problem repeatedly occurred with" and then the address of the page, for instance
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/diagonalization-of-matrix.943989/

[Same problem here with desktop Safari vsn 11.1.1 (13605.2.8, MacOS 10.13.15)]

For those with issues can please disable this setting (right-click an equation ) and let me know if that solves it?

mathjax.png

Attachments

• mathjax.png
    mathjax.png
    9.5 KB · Views: 550
Greg Bernhardt said:
For those with issues can please disable this setting (right-click an equation ) and let me know if that solves it?
Tapping an equation does nothing, long tap only selects text.
The only setting I could find is "experimental features". I flipped all 15 of them, with no effect.
Perhaps someone on a computer will have more luck.
I've just downloaded Firefox and get the same result. Which is really strange...
A7C11083-3028-4C28-B329-11E95A0C361E.png

Attachments

• A7C11083-3028-4C28-B329-11E95A0C361E.png
    A7C11083-3028-4C28-B329-11E95A0C361E.png
    23.2 KB · Views: 519
Likes baldbrain
Greg Bernhardt said:
Yes, that solved it for me!

DrClaude said:
Yes, that solved it for me!
Great, now I can disable that globally in our config. I'll get on it later today, thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Great, now I can disable that globally in our config. I'll get on it later today, thanks!
Will the site be down for some time?

Wrichik Basu said:
Will the site be down for some time?
No :)

Likes Wrichik Basu
Ok fast preview has been disabled site wide. Please let me know if that fixes the issue for everyone else.

Although I didn't have a problem, I'm now finding the maths rendering faster and the page doesn't bounce around so much as it loads, so I approve.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
While "disabling the preview site wide" didn't seem to fix my problem, today the inline math seems to render fine. Thanks!

Likes Greg Bernhardt
Mathjax has released an update targeted towards fixing Safari issues. We have updated. Please test and report back any findings. Thanks!

Greg Bernhardt said:
Mathjax has released an update targeted towards fixing Safari issues. We have updated. Please test and report back any findings. Thanks!
Everything appears to be working fine, including with the Fast Preview option. Great!

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. Why am I having trouble opening certain threads in Safari?

There could be several reasons for this issue. It could be due to a slow internet connection, a problem with the website or server, or an issue with your browser or device. It is important to identify the specific cause in order to find a solution.

2. How do I know if the problem is with the website or my device?

To determine the cause, try opening the same threads in a different browser or on a different device. If the issue persists, it is likely a problem with the website. If the threads open without any issue, then the problem may be with your device or browser.

3. Can clearing my browser's cache help resolve the issue?

Yes, clearing your browser's cache can sometimes resolve this issue. This will clear any stored data and allow your browser to load the latest version of the website. To clear your cache, go to the settings or preferences menu of your browser and look for the option to clear browsing data.

4. Are there any specific settings in Safari that could be causing this issue?

There are a few settings in Safari that could potentially cause problems with opening certain threads. These include the browser's security settings, pop-up blocker, and cookie settings. You can try adjusting these settings to see if it resolves the issue.

5. What should I do if none of the above solutions work?

If none of the above solutions work, it is possible that the issue is with the website itself. In this case, you can try contacting the website's technical support team for further assistance. They may be able to identify and resolve the issue for you.