Problem with a 'simple' equation?

• Thread starter rudderbird
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a main equation involving i, E, R, A, T, and L, and a problem with equation no. 2. The individual is seeking clarification on the use of e^t/lambda when lambda = R/L and notes that the minus symbol in the exponent may have been incorrectly placed. It is suggested that the error lies in the typography of the book and the correct notation would be e^-t/lambda. The individual expresses gratitude for the clarification.
rudderbird
https://scontent-a-sin.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/q83/s720x720/960276_419358564889369_6107296607749832321_n.jpg?oh=848f1c866e20f0178f835cfec07b41b4&oe=555E6332

Okay so, the main equation was this-
i = E/R + Ae^[-(RT)/L]

My problem is with the equation no. 2.
How do we get e^t/lamda when lamda = R/L? It should be e^t*lamda and where did the minus symbol go (the one in the power of e). And to equate i = i not it has to be (1 - e^t/lamda) = 1 and if t tends to infinity that's not possible in any way!

Please tell me where I am doing wrong! HELP!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The page has an error. Lambda should be L/R. The typography of the book puts a minus sign on the same level as the line for a fraction, so I think the exponent that looks like [itex] \frac{t}{\lambda} [/itex] is really [itex] \frac{-t}{\lambda} [/itex]. To be correct, it should have the minus sign.

Thanks so much! I just needed a confirmation!

1. What is a 'simple' equation?

A 'simple' equation is a mathematical statement that uses basic mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, or division to represent a relationship between two or more quantities. It can be solved using standard algebraic methods.

2. What is the problem with a 'simple' equation?

The problem with a 'simple' equation is that it may not accurately represent real-life situations. It assumes that the relationship between the quantities remains constant, which is not always the case. Additionally, a 'simple' equation may not take into account other factors that can affect the relationship between the quantities.

3. How can I identify the problem with a 'simple' equation?

To identify the problem with a 'simple' equation, you should analyze the variables and their relationships to see if they accurately represent the real-life situation. You should also consider the limitations and assumptions of the equation and determine if they are applicable to the situation.

4. How can I solve the problem with a 'simple' equation?

If you have identified a problem with a 'simple' equation, you can try to solve it by using a more complex equation that takes into account additional variables or factors. You can also try to make adjustments to the original equation to better reflect the real-life situation.

5. Why is it important to address the problem with a 'simple' equation?

It is important to address the problem with a 'simple' equation because using an inaccurate or oversimplified equation can lead to incorrect conclusions and decisions. It is crucial to have a thorough understanding of the relationship between the variables in order to accurately represent the situation and make informed choices.