Problem with dot product of vectors

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the dot product of two vectors, v1 and v2, where v1 has components <4,8> and v2 has a length of 1 and an angle of π/4. Two methods are presented for finding the dot product, but they do not yield the same result. It is concluded that the angle given for v2 is not θ, but rather the angle between v2 and the x-axis, and that the two methods only yield the same result if v1 lies on the positive x-axis.
cshum00
It began in class with this problem.

Find the dot product of 2 vectors:
v1 a vector with components <4, 8>
v2 a vector of length 1 angle pi/4

So, i have 2 ways of doing it.
1) v1.v2 = v1x.v2x + v1y.v2y
2) v1.v2 = |v1||v2|cos(theta)
And they should come out the same but.

1) v1.v2 = 4cos(pi/4) + 8sin(pi/4) = 6√(2)
1) v1.v2 = √(42 + 82)cos(pi/4) = 2√(10)

and 6√(2) ≠ 2√(10), so i wondered if i did something wrong. Then it tried different numbers and found out these two ways of computing the dot product of two vectors are never the same for an angle pi/4 except for vectors with components <a, 0> or <0, a> where a is any real number.

I wonder if i computed anything wrong causing different results or is is that they are not the same?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cshum00 said:
Find the dot product of 2 vectors:
v1 a vector with components <4, 8>
v2 a vector of length 1 angle pi/4

So, i have 2 ways of doing it.
1) v1.v2 = v1x.v2x + v1y.v2y
2) v1.v2 = |v1||v2|cos(theta)

Hi cshum00!

(have a pi: π and a theta: θ and a root: √ :smile:)

θ is the angle between the two vectors.

If v2 is at π/4 to the x-axis, it is at (1/√2,1/√2), but the angle between it and (4,8) is not π/4. :smile:

I see so it means that, v1x.v2x + v1y.v2y = |v1||v2|cosθ is true only if v1 or v2 is on the x-axis and therefore the angle making between them is θ.

Thanks, it clarifies at lot.

Stop!

No, θ in that formula has nothing to do with the x-axis.

θ is the angle between whatever two vectors you're dot-producting. :smile:

|v1||v2|cosθ this formula doesn't but
v1x.v2x + v1y.v2y this formula does

so, if the angle of v2 is θ and
v1x.v2x + v1y.v2y = |v1||v2|cosθ
then v1 have to be in the x-axis

although now you cleared me that in the original problem, the angle in v2 was not θ but with the x-axis

thanks again

cshum00 said:
|v1||v2|cosθ this formula doesn't but
v1x.v2x + v1y.v2y this formula does

so, if the angle of v2 is θ and
v1x.v2x + v1y.v2y = |v1||v2|cosθ
then v1 have to be in the x-axis
NO, v1 and v2 can be any two vectors, [itex]\theta[/itex] the angle between them. It is only if v1 lies on the (positive) x-axis that the angle between then is the angle v2 makes with the positive x-axis.

although now you cleared me that in the original problem, the angle in v2 was not θ but with the x-axis

thanks again

Yes, you are right. I am making so much confusion with the angle given for v2 which is the one between v2 and the x-axis and not θ

What is the dot product of two vectors?

The dot product, also known as the scalar product, is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar quantity. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then summing those products.

What does the dot product represent?

The dot product represents the magnitude of one vector in the direction of another vector. It is often used in physics and engineering to calculate work, force, and other quantities.

How do you calculate the dot product?

To calculate the dot product of two vectors, you multiply the corresponding components of the vectors and then sum those products. For example, if vector A is (2, 3, 4) and vector B is (5, 6, 7), the dot product would be (2*5) + (3*6) + (4*7) = 44.

What is the significance of the dot product being commutative?

The dot product is commutative, meaning the order of the vectors does not affect the result. This is significant because it allows for easier calculations and simplifies many equations in physics and engineering.

What are some common problems with the dot product of vectors?

Some common problems with the dot product of vectors include finding the angle between two vectors, determining if two vectors are perpendicular, and calculating the work done by a force applied in a certain direction.