Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with finding an Inverse Laplace Transform

1. Jul 16, 2011 #1
    I've been messing around with Laplace transforms. Anyway to get to the point I arrived at a "solution" in the s domain and got stuck.

I'm trying to solve for the inverse laplace transform of A: [tex] {\cal L}^{-1} \{A\} [/tex]

where [itex] A = F(s) e^{C_2\sqrt{-s+C_1 }} [/itex]

and [itex] C_1,C_2 [/itex] are constants and [itex] F(s) [/itex] is a function of s.

Is there any way to apply the shifting theorem to this equation? If not how do I go about solving the above? I don't know much about [itex] F(s) [/itex]. I already applied boundary and initial conditions.

Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 16, 2011 #2
    I guess I should clarify that I am trying to find [itex] {\cal L}^{-1} \{A\}=a(x,t) [/itex] for any [itex] F(s) [/itex].

In the above equation [itex] C_2 [/itex] is [itex] x [/itex]. So the equation is actually [itex] A = F(s) e^{x\sqrt{-s+C_1 }} [/itex]. I wrote [itex] C_2 [/itex] in the place of [itex] x [/itex] because I was trying to look up the transform in tables.

I had specified the boundary condition as [itex] a(-\infty,t)=f(t) [/itex] This transforms to the [itex] s [/itex] domain as [itex] A(-\infty,s)=F(s) [/itex]. Is there any way to get a general form for [itex] a(x,t) [/itex] for any [itex] F(s) [/itex] or would I have to specify [itex] F(s) [/itex]?

4. Jul 17, 2011 #3

hunt_mat

Homework Helper

I think that the way that you're going to have to tackle this is residue calculus.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook