Problem with non linear increase in voltage/amperage

In summary, the conversation discusses the observations of the voltage and amperage generated during an experiment with thermometric generators. It is noticed that as the number of generators per circuit increases, the voltage increase slows down while the amperage increase accelerates, which are inversely proportional to each other. The possible explanation for the voltage decrease is the added resistance from the internal resistance of the generators, but this does not fully explain the acceleration of the amperage increase.
samsanof

Homework Statement

Please try to keep this simple, I'm only fourteen. I was testing thermometric generators and the voltage and amperage generated at with increased efficiency. I noticed that when I increase the number of generators per circuit, the voltage increase slowed and the amperage increase accelerated. The two were inversely proportional to each other. Does anyone know why the voltage increase slowed down?

I was using .22 gauge iron wire and .22 gauge constantan wire, at a temperature of 353 K.

I have linked an image to the graphs from the experiment.

http://i.imgur.com/4sPIjsG.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
samsanof said:

Homework Statement

I noticed that when I increase the number of generators per circuit, the voltage increase slowed and the amperage increase accelerated. The two were inversely proportional to each other. Does anyone know why the voltage increase slowed down?

Adding a generator increases the output voltage and if the load is resistive that increases the current. If the generators have significant internal resistance then the increasing current reduces the voltage all of them deliver not just the new one. That could explain why the voltage increase slows down.

However it doesn't explain why the current increase accelerated. It only explains why the current increases.

1. What is a non linear increase in voltage/amperage?

A non linear increase in voltage/amperage refers to a situation where the voltage or amperage of a circuit does not increase in a direct, proportional manner. Instead, the increase follows a curved or nonlinear pattern.

2. What causes a non linear increase in voltage/amperage?

There are several factors that can cause a non linear increase in voltage/amperage, including changes in resistance, capacitance, or inductance of the circuit. Additionally, non linear effects such as saturation in electronic components can also contribute to this phenomenon.

3. How does a non linear increase in voltage/amperage affect circuit performance?

A non linear increase in voltage/amperage can have significant impacts on circuit performance. It can cause distortion of signals, resulting in inaccurate or unreliable readings. It can also lead to overheating of components, potentially causing damage or failure of the circuit.

4. Can a non linear increase in voltage/amperage be avoided?

In some cases, it may be possible to design a circuit to minimize or eliminate non linear increases in voltage/amperage. This can be achieved through careful selection of components and design techniques, such as incorporating feedback mechanisms to regulate voltage or using components with stable characteristics.

5. How is a non linear increase in voltage/amperage measured?

A non linear increase in voltage/amperage can be measured using specialized equipment, such as oscilloscopes or multimeters. These tools allow for precise measurements of voltage and amperage over time, which can then be analyzed to determine if a non linear increase is present.