Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Problem with 'O' Ring Tolerance?

1. Jun 20, 2011 #1
    It may seems like simple homework question but it is industrial question with actual condition & I am struggling for the answer & also asked this question on other website but not get any reply. So ,please help me

'O' ring Internal Diameter(ID) ID=4 mm with tolerance is + & - 0.15mm. Tolerance as per in most of the standards.
    I design shaft of 4.0+0.15=4.15mm for maintaining minimum stretch of 0.00mm in any condition.
    If Shaft dia is 4.15mm & minimum 'O' ring ID is 4-0.15=3.85mm then 'O' ring stretch is 4.15-3.85=0.3mm.
    'O' ring stretch percentage is 0.3/3.85 * 100=7.79 % > 5% alowable limit.

Please tell me is there any other solution for this OR all the industries make compromise in stretch with small ID 'O' ring.
    I not gives any tolerance on shaft. If I will give then Stretch increase more & so intensify the problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 20, 2011 #2
    I am not sure where the 5% allowable stretch limit came from, but if you must meet this, I would recommend to talk to the o-ring manufacturer and see if they will deliver a batch with the tolerance you need. There will probably be a price adder as they will have to sort and measure their inventory.

4. Jun 22, 2011 #3
    In Parker 'O' ring handbook, Dichomatik 'O' ring handbook & Eriks 'O' ring handbook Stretch limit given as 5% maximum. However, I tried to contact so many industries from last 3 weeks & finally I find one which gives me desirable tolerance which I required. So, my problem is solved.

Thanks for reply

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook