Producing H_{2} Gas: Na + H_{2}O Reaction

  • Thread starter Thread starter Punkyc7
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Gas Reaction
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 3K views
Punkyc7
Messages
415
Reaction score
0
1. How many liters of hydrogen gas will be produced at 280 K and 96 kPa if 1.74 of Na reacts with excess water according to the following equation.

2Na + 2H[itex]_{2}[/itex]O [itex]\rightarrow[/itex]2NaOH + H[itex]_{2}[/itex]


Im gussing I am going to have to find the number of moles of H[itex]_{2}[/itex] before I can do anything.

So I am thinking that since there is 1.74 mol of Na that is going to be the number of moles of H[itex]_{2}[/itex]. Is that right?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use [noparse] and [/noparse] tags to format subscripts and superscripts (so [noparse]H3O+[/noparse] yields H3O+) - don't use inline LaTeX for formatting single characters.

You are wrong, but not far from the correct answer. You forgot to take stoichiometric coefficients into account. Please read about stoichiometric calculations.