Product of a finite complex and a point

In summary, the product of a finite simplicial complex X with a single point (a 0-simplex) is isomorphic to the finite simplicial complex X, which can be generalized to any category by showing that the product of an object A with a terminal object * is canonically isomorphic to A. This is because taking the product of an object with a single point is similar to multiplying a real number by 1, where nothing changes. The isomorphism is given by projection onto the first coordinate, which has an inverse of inclusion into the product.
Ad123q
I have in my algebraic topology notes, as a step in the proof of another theorem, that the product of a finite simplicial complex X with a single point (a 0-simplex) is isomorphic to the finite simplicial complex X, but I can't see why this is so.

i.e. Xx{point} isomorphic to X

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm a little rusty on the details of forming products of simplicial complexes, but it's probably only necessary to note that taking the product of a topological object and a single point is about like forming the product of an (algebraic) group with the trivial group, or multiplying a real number by 1, in that nothing changes.

Anytime the objects in the product are pairs of objects from the factors, and the second coordinate is always the same. Then the isomorphism is just projection onto the first coordinate, which has as its inverse inclusion into the product.

I think we can generalize this to any category: if * is a terminal object and A is any object, then the product of A and * is canonically isomorphic to A. We just show that A has the universal property of the categorical product of A and *, which we know to be unique up to unique isomorphism.

Let the two projections [itex]\pi_A:A\to A[/itex] and [itex]\pi_\star:A\to \star[/itex] be the identity and the unique one, respectively. Now suppose Z is any object with arrows [itex]p_A:Z\to A[/itex] and [itex]p_\star:Z\to \star[/itex]. Then there is indeed a unique arrow [itex]u:Z\to A[/itex] such that [itex]\pi_A\circ u=p_A[/itex] and [itex]\pi_\star\circ u=p_\star[/itex]: it is of course u=p_A!

So [tex]A\times\star\cong A[/tex].

1. What is meant by "product of a finite complex and a point"?

The product of a finite complex and a point refers to the mathematical operation of multiplying a finite complex number (a number with both real and imaginary components) with a single point on a coordinate plane.

2. Can you give an example of a product of a finite complex and a point?

Yes, for example, if we have the complex number 3+2i and the point (4,5), their product would be (12+10i).

3. What is the purpose of multiplying a finite complex and a point?

The purpose of this operation is to combine the properties of both a complex number and a point. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific applications, such as in vector calculus or signal processing.

4. What are the key properties of the product of a finite complex and a point?

The product of a finite complex and a point is a complex number with both real and imaginary components. The magnitude of the product is equal to the product of the magnitudes of the complex number and the point. The angle of the product is equal to the sum of the angles of the complex number and the point.

5. Are there any real-world applications of the product of a finite complex and a point?

Yes, this operation is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent the behavior of waves or signals in space. For example, in signal processing, the product of a complex number and a point can be used to model the amplitude and phase of an electromagnetic wave at a specific point in space.