Product rule mistake with f(q)=q(Q-q)

  • Thread starter Thread starter needhlp
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Derivative
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
needhlp
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
I am having trouble with this derivation: f(q)=q(Q-q). We want to find the values that maximize the vaule of q so the book sets the derivative equal to 0 and gets Q-2q=0

When I try to do the derivative of f(q)=q(Q-q), I used the product rule

1(Q-q) + q(Q-1)=0
Q-q+Qq-q=0
Q+Qq-2q=0

I have an extra (Qq) I don't know how to get rid of.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
needhlp said:
I am having trouble with this derivation: f(q)=q(Q-q). We want to find the values that maximize the vaule of q so the book sets the derivative equal to 0 and gets Q-2q=0

When I try to do the derivative of f(q)=q(Q-q), I used the product rule

1(Q-q) + q(Q-1)=0
There's a mistake above. d/dq(Q - q) = -1, not Q - 1. Q is a constant in this function.
needhlp said:
Q-q+Qq-q=0
Q+Qq-2q=0

I have an extra (Qq) I don't know how to get rid of.