Programming languages v Mathematica/Matlab

• MATLAB
  • Thread starter wanfife
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Programming
In summary, the main advantage of coding in a compiled language such as Java, C, or C++ for scientific calculations is speed. However, these languages may not be as well-suited for expressing mathematical concepts compared to simpler programs like Mathematica or Matlab, which also have the advantage of built-in libraries and infrastructure for tasks like parallel processing. Some interpreted languages like Python and Matlab do have the option for compiling, but the speed improvement may not be as significant as with a compiled language. Ultimately, the choice of language will depend on the specific needs and goals of the application.
wanfife
Can anyone give me a quick answer to this question:

For scientific calculations, modelling, producing graphs etc, what advantage is there to coding in Java, C, C++ , as opposed to just using much simpler programs like Mathematica or Matlab?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
The advantage would be speed. The disadvantage would be that the language is not really fine tuned to express mathematical concepts easily.

Also Mathematica has a huge amount of libraries that are already proven to be accurate and there is a lot of infrastructure in place to do things like parallel processing.

If your application needs to work with large sets of data and do lots of calculations, it will probably run faster if written in a compiled language such as C, C++, or Fortran. If it is written in an interpreted language such as Java, python, Mathematica, or Matlab, it will probably run quite a bit more slowly.

note that in the case of matlab/python (at least, not familiar with others) there are compilers available. I thought python actually was a hybrid (i.e. if you run a function and then don't make changes, it will stay compiled; the first run, however, is interpreted and compiled on the fly). Matlab you have to go through a bit of trouble to get things compiled.

Matlab's greatest advantage is the way it handles matrices and arrays, which is very handy to digital signal processing and linear algebra operations (though, when I vectorized my 200+ dimension ODE, I got floating point errors in my hyperbolic cosine function that made my solutions blow up to INF, so the if statements were the only way I could make it work so far; I might as well have used C++ for this).

Just a comment, since I had this same question at some point. As already said, the main reason to use a compiled language such as C or C++ is for speed. My comment is that the speed improvement can be very substantial; a compiled language like C can run 100's to 1000's of times faster than something like Mathematica on calculation intensive code.

1. What is the difference between a programming language and Mathematica/Matlab?

A programming language is a set of rules and syntax used to write instructions for a computer to perform specific tasks. Mathematica and Matlab are both programming languages, but they are specialized for mathematical and scientific computing. They have built-in functions and libraries that make it easier to perform complex mathematical operations and manipulate data.

2. Can I use Mathematica/Matlab for general programming?

While Mathematica and Matlab are primarily designed for mathematical and scientific computing, they can also be used for general programming tasks. However, they may not have all the features and libraries that other programming languages like Python or Java have for general programming purposes.

3. Which one is better for data analysis, Mathematica or Matlab?

Both Mathematica and Matlab have strong data analysis capabilities. The choice between the two depends on personal preference and the specific needs of the project. Mathematica is known for its symbolic programming and visualization capabilities, while Matlab is popular for its numerical computing and optimization tools.

4. Are there any limitations to using Mathematica/Matlab?

Like any programming language, Mathematica and Matlab have their own limitations. For example, they may not be suitable for large-scale projects or tasks that require real-time data processing. Additionally, their proprietary nature may limit collaboration and sharing of code with other programmers who do not have access to the software.

5. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to use Mathematica/Matlab?

While a strong background in mathematics can be helpful in understanding the capabilities of Mathematica and Matlab, it is not necessary. These languages have user-friendly interfaces and built-in functions that make it easier for non-mathematicians to use. However, a basic understanding of mathematical concepts and programming fundamentals is recommended to fully utilize their capabilities.