1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Projectile Motion Quarterback Throw

1. Sep 20, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A quarterback claims that he can throw the football a horizontal distance of 193 m. Furthermore, he claims that he can do this by launching the ball at the relatively low angle of 32.1 ° above the horizontal. To evaluate this claim, determine the speed with which this quarterback must throw the ball. Assume that the ball is launched and caught at the same vertical level and that air resistance can be ignored. For comparison a baseball pitcher who can accurately throw a fastball at 45 m/s (100 mph) would be considered exceptional.

2. Relevant equations

The Kinematic equations

3. The attempt at a solution

So I cant figure out how to get anywhere with only the few variables they give me. I can only figure out how to get the initial speed in both the x and y directions. What should I do?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2012 #2

PeterO

Homework Helper

Check out what range and "hang time" you get for a ball thrown at 10m/s, and also 20m/s to get a feel for what the ball does.
    Once you have done that it may become obvious how to approach the original claim.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook