Promising Results: Stanford's Vibrating Glove Treats Parkinson's Disease

In summary, recent research led by Stanford Medicine researcher Peter Tass, MD, PhD, has refined an old idea of using vibrations to treat Parkinson's Disease. Previous attempts showed temporary and inconclusive results, but Tass's focus on self-organization has shown potential for long-term improvement. The clinical trials for this treatment are nearly full and showing promising early results.
berkeman
Mentor
I saw this on the local TV news tonight (I live in Silicon Valley not far from Stanford). It looks to be a very promising and innovative treatment for Parkinson's Disease that is showing some amazing early results (led by Stanford Medicine researcher Peter Tass, MD, PhD). They are calling for a few more volunteer patients for the next stage of the clinical trials (they are almost fully enrolled for that trial now):

https://stanmed.stanford.edu/2021issue2/vibrating-glove-reorganize-neurons-parkinsons.html

An old idea refined

The idea of using vibrations to treat Parkinson’s is not new, Tass explained. In the 19th century, neurologist Jean-Martin Charcot created a vibrating chair after learning that his patients’ symptoms briefly improved after long, jostling carriage and horseback rides.

Charcot’s vibrating chair, and the vibrating platforms and therapies developed by researchers who followed, alleviated some symptoms of Parkinson’s, but the results were inconclusive and temporary.

When Tass was a medical student, he became intrigued with self-organization — the seemingly spontaneous assembly of patterns and structures, such as clouds and snowflakes. He went on to earn a doctorate in physics and a master’s in mathematics for his research on self-organization, which revealed potential applications for neurological diseases, including Parkinson’s.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Likes Delta2, jim mcnamara, Choppy and 6 others
Biology news on Phys.org
This sounds really interesting and promising. I'm glad to hear that the clinical trials are almost full, and I hope the results are as positive as it seems. Thank you for sharing this information!

1. What is the vibrating glove and how does it work?

The vibrating glove is a device developed by Stanford researchers to treat the symptoms of Parkinson's disease. It works by stimulating the nerves in the hand with gentle vibrations, which can help reduce tremors and improve motor function.

2. What are the results of the study on the vibrating glove?

The study conducted at Stanford showed promising results for using the vibrating glove to treat Parkinson's disease. Participants reported a significant reduction in tremors and improved motor function after using the glove for several weeks.

3. Is the vibrating glove a cure for Parkinson's disease?

No, the vibrating glove is not a cure for Parkinson's disease. It is a treatment option that can help manage the symptoms of the disease and improve quality of life for patients.

4. Are there any side effects of using the vibrating glove?

There are no known side effects of using the vibrating glove for Parkinson's disease treatment. However, as with any medical device, it is important to consult with a doctor before use and to follow the instructions carefully.

5. How can I get a vibrating glove for Parkinson's disease treatment?

The vibrating glove is still in the early stages of development and is not yet available for widespread use. It is currently being tested in clinical trials and may become available for use in the future with a doctor's prescription.

Back