Proof involving surjective/onto and image/preimage of sets

  • Level: Graduate 
  • Thread starter Thread starter mathmajor2013
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Sets
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 4K views
mathmajor2013
Messages
26
Reaction score
0
EXERCISE: Suppose f is surjective, and B is a subset of Y. Prove that f(f^-1(B))=B.

SOLUTION: We must show that f(f^-1(B)) is a subset of B and that B is a subset of f(f^-1(B)). I have already proven that f(f^-1(B)) is a subset of B. Now I must prove that B is a subset of f(f^-1(B)) when f is surjective. Fix x is an element of B.

After this I am lost. Help please! I know that the surjectivity must come in handy at some point since B is not a subset of f(f^-1(B)) for all f.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Well

[tex]f^{-1} : B \rightarrow Y[/tex]

So let x be in B as you said. Now [tex]f^{-1}(x)[/tex] is an element of Y provided that there is some y in Y such that [tex]f^{-1}(x) = y[/tex]. This is where you need to use surjectivity. Hope this helps.