Proof of Lorentz Gauge Existence: Help Understanding Schutz 8.3

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
2 replies · 2K views
epovo
Messages
114
Reaction score
21
TL;DR
In the derivation of the proof there is a step that I cannot make sense of
In Schutz 8.3, while proving that a Lorentz gauge exists, it is stated that
$$\bar h^{(new)}_{\mu\nu} = \bar h^{(old)}_{\mu\nu} - \xi_{\mu,\nu} - \xi_{\nu,\mu} + \eta_{\mu\nu}\xi^\alpha_{,\alpha}$$

where ##\bar h## is the trace reverse and ##\xi^\alpha## are the gauge functions. Then it follows with:
"Then the divergence is"
$$\bar h^{(new)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} = \bar h^{(old)\mu\nu}_{\,\,\,\,\,\,\,\,,\nu} - \xi^{\mu,\nu}_{\,\,\,,\nu}$$
I can't see why the divergence is that! I've tried and tried but I can't see it. Any help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
epovo said:
I can't see why the divergence is that! I've tried and tried but I can't see it. Any help?
$$-\xi^{\nu,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\nu} + \eta^{\mu\nu} \xi^{\alpha}_{\,\,\,,\alpha \nu} = -\xi^{\nu,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\nu} + \xi^{\alpha,\mu}_{\,\,\,,\alpha} = 0,$$
since ##\alpha## and ##\nu## are both dummy summation indices.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: epovo and vanhees71