1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of Normal approximation to Poisson.

1. Dec 5, 2009 #1
    I have been looking for a proof of the fact that for a large parameter lambda, the Poisson distribution tends to a Normal distribution. I know the classic proof using the Central Limit Theorem, but I need a simpler one using just limits and the corresponding probability density functions. I was told this was really easy using Stirling's approximation:

n! ~ sqrt(2*pi*n) * (n/e)^n

but I just don't see it. Anyone knows this proof?

2. jcsd
  3. May 4, 2011 #2
    First you take the natural logarithm to the Poisson distribution and then apply Stirlings approximation. Then define a new variable

[tex]y=x-\mu[/tex]

and assume that y is much smaller than [tex]\mu[/tex]
    By doing this you will end up with a term

[tex]\ln\left(1+\frac{y}{\mu}\right) [/tex]

which can be approximated by looking at the Maclaurin series

[tex]\ln\left(1+\frac{y}{\mu}\right) \approx \frac{y}{\mu} - \frac{y^{2}}{2\mu^{2}}. [/tex]

Now any term with a power of [tex]\mu[/tex] greater than 2 in the denominator may be approximated as zero due to the assumption that y is much smaller than [tex]\mu[/tex]. When the algebra is done you just takt the exponential function on both sides and you end up with a normal distribution with mean and variance [tex]\mu[/tex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook