Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof of rational density using Dedekind cuts

1. Aug 7, 2014 #1
    The Problem

Let [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y[/itex] be real numbers such that [itex]y<x[/itex], using the Dedekind cut construction of reals prove that there is always a rational [itex]q[/itex] such that [itex]y<q<x [/itex]

What I've done

Since I can associate a cut to every real number, let [itex]x^∗[/itex] be the cut associated to [itex]x[/itex] and [itex]y^∗[/itex] the one associated with [itex]y[/itex].
    Since [itex]y<x \implies y^* \subsetneq x^*[/itex] then [itex]\exists q \in \Bbb Q[/itex] such that [itex]q \in x^*[/itex] and [itex]q\not\in y^*[/itex]. Next I associate a cut [itex]q^∗[/itex] to [itex]q[/itex]. Now how can I deduce from there that [itex]q^* \subsetneq x^*[/itex] and [itex]y^* \subsetneq q^*[/itex], thus proving [itex]y<q<x[/itex]

Any help will be appreciated,
    M.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 7, 2014 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you are simply asking if that is a valid proof, yes, it looks good to me.

4. Aug 7, 2014 #3
    Thank HallsofIvy for replying.
    The thing is that my professor told me that its not immediate from what I previously wrote that [itex]q^* \subsetneq x^*[/itex] and [itex]y^* \subsetneq q^*[/itex] so I can't conclude solely on my argument [itex] y<q<x[/itex]. But I can't see what I'm missing, I was hoping you guys would guide me towards finding that subtlety to complete the proof.

5. Aug 7, 2014 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I'm assuming that in your definition of Dedekind cut, if ##q## is rational then ##q## is NOT an element of ##q^*## but rather is the smallest element of ##\mathbb{Q}\setminus q^*##. If you use the opposite convention, then adjust my argument below appropriately.

If ##x## and ##y## are irrational, then your proof is fine.

If ##x## and ##y## are rational, then you can simply choose ##q = (x+y)/2##.

If ##y## is irrational and ##x## is rational, then your proof is fine: ##q## cannot be ##x## because you chose ##q \in x^*## whereas ##x \not\in x^*##.

Finally, if ##y## is rational and ##x## is irrational, then your proof does not exclude the possibility that ##q=y##. In other words, ##q## might be the smallest element of ##x^* \setminus y^*##. But if this is the case, note that ##x^*## does not have a largest element, so you can simply replace ##q## with a larger rational in ##x^*##.

6. Aug 8, 2014 #5

disregardthat

Science Advisor

Let the real numbers x and y be represented by cuts [itex](X_1,X_2)[/itex] and [itex](Y_1,Y_2)[/itex], where a cut [itex](A,B)[/itex] is a partition of [itex]\mathbb{Q}[/itex] such that any element of A is less than any element of B, and A has no greatest element. To say that [itex]y < x[/itex], is to say that [itex]Y_1 \subset X_1[/itex] by the ordering of cuts. Since this is a proper subset, we may find a rational [itex]p \in X_1 - Y_1[/itex]. But since [itex]X_1[/itex] has no greatest element, we may find another rational [itex]q \in X_1-Y_1[/itex] such that [itex]q>p[/itex]. It is easily seen that its cut [itex](Q_1,Q_2)[/itex] is such that [itex]Y_1 \subset Q_1 \subset X_1[/itex], because if we let the cut [itex](P_1,P_2)[/itex] represent p, we have the following: [itex]Y_1 \subseteq P_1 \subset Q_1 \subset X_1[/itex], where the last inclusion is true because q cannot be the greatest element of [itex]X_1[/itex].

7. Aug 9, 2014 #6
    Oh, now I get it. Thanks for the replies and the help guys, it was very helpful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook