Proof of Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem

In summary, John M. Lee's "Introduction to topological manifolds" has a proof that Ker(P) is contained in N.
PsychonautQQ
To help me with this question, I think you'll need to have access to the proof, it's pretty involved and technical. I'm going the proof found in John M. Lee's "Introduction to topological manifolds", but I suspect that the proof will be the same no matter where you find it.

Let ##U,V## be the open sets who's union is ##X## and ##U\cap V## is path connected.

Let ##F: \pi(U\cap V)## --> (Free product of ##\pi(U)## and ##\pi(V))##

Let ##P:## (Free product of ##\pi(U)## and ##\pi(V))## --> ##\pi(X)##

Let ##i_{*}## be the inclusion of ##\pi(U\cap V)## into ##\pi(U)## and ##j_{*}## be the inclusion of ##\pi(U\cap V)## into ##\pi(V)##.

Let ##k_{*}## be the inclusion of ##\pi(U)## into ##\pi(X)## and ##l_{*}## be the inclusion of ##\pi(V)## into ##\pi(X)##.

Let ##N## be the normal closure of the image of ##F##

I don't understand the step where we must prove that ##Ker(P)## is contained ##N##.

First we suppose that ##P(\gamma)=1## so that ##\gamma## is an element of ##Ker(P)##
We can factor ##\gamma## as ##[a_{1}*...*a_{n}]_{[X]}=1##

So that there is a path homotopy between this factorization of ##\gamma## and 1 in X.

We then use the same technique we did in proving the unique homotopy lift property, by cutting up the mapping square of the homotopy between ##\gamma## and 1 so that each square is in either U or V.

Okay, so the part that I'm confused on is the inductive step where we show that each time we move up to the next "layer" of squares in the homotopy lifting square, the two layers are equivalent mod N. I followed the proof as far as recognizing that they did a bunch of algebraic manipulation and substitution for the terms and made things work out, but it seems very much arcane.

Can somebody give me some insight as to why each of these layers on the mapping square should be equivalent mod N? Or perhaps even some insight as to why I should not be surprised that ##Ker(P)## is contained in ##N##

To be honest, I am slightly confused on a step before this as well. The text reads "by taking n to be a sufficiently large power of 2, we can ensure that the endpoints of the paths ##a_{i}## in this product are of the form ##i/n##, so the path obtained by restricting ##H## (our homotopy between ##\gamma## and 1) to the bottom edge of the square can be written as:

##a_{1}*a_{2}*...*a_{k}## is path equivalent to ##(a_{1,0}*...*a_{p,0)*...*(a_{r,0}*...*a_{n,0})## (edit: don't know why LaTeX not working here)

I don't understand what's going on with "a power of 2", why is it necessary to be a power of 2? Why not just an arbitrarily large n? Furthermore, what exactly is going on here, is ##(a_{1,0}*...*a_{p,0})## in the second factorization equivalent to ##a_{1}## in the first factorization?
Thanks PF!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
A proof is also in Hatcher's book (which is freely available on the net) but his proof has a more geometric flavour. I recently read this proof and I was glad once I finally got through it.

I doubt the OP still needs an answer to his question though.

1. What is the Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem and why is it important?

The Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem is a fundamental result in algebraic topology that allows us to compute the fundamental group of a space by decomposing it into smaller, more manageable pieces. This is important because the fundamental group is a powerful topological invariant that captures information about the shape and connectivity of a space.

2. How does the Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem work?

The theorem states that if we have two overlapping open sets in a topological space, then the fundamental group of the union of these sets is isomorphic to the amalgamated product of the fundamental groups of the individual sets. This means that we can break down a complicated space into simpler pieces and use algebraic methods to compute its fundamental group.

3. Can the Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem be applied to any topological space?

Yes, the theorem can be applied to any topological space, as long as certain conditions are met. These conditions include the spaces being path-connected, locally path-connected, and semi-locally simply connected. These conditions ensure that the fundamental group is well-defined and the theorem holds.

4. What are some real-world applications of the Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem?

The Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It is often used to study the topology of spaces in areas such as robotics, computer vision, and computer graphics. It also has applications in knot theory, where it can be used to classify and distinguish different types of knots.

5. Are there any generalizations or extensions of the Seifert-Van Kampen Theorem?

Yes, there are several generalizations and extensions of the theorem, including the Van Kampen-Ehresmann Theorem for higher homotopy groups, the Blakers-Massey Theorem for higher homotopy pushouts, and the Seifert-Fibering Theorem for 3-manifolds. These extensions allow for the computation of more sophisticated topological invariants beyond just the fundamental group.