Proof Quest: Non-Equilateral Triangle Enclosing Point Z

In summary, the conversation is about proving the inequality ha/ZQ + hb/ZR + hc/ZP >= 9 for a triangle ABC with heights (ha, hb, hc) and a point Z inside the triangle. The points P, Q, R on the sides AB, BC, and AC, respectively, are considered such that ZP is perpendicular to AB, ZQ is perpendicular to BC, and ZR is perpendicular to AC. The conversation includes discussing the area of the triangle and using the fact that (x+y+z)(1/x + 1/y + 1/z) >= 9 to prove that ZP/hc + ZQ/ha + ZR/hb = 1. There is also a mention
frusciante
I am struggling with this question, it would be easy enough if the triangle was equilateral but that is not necessarily the case.

Let (ha, hb, hc) be heights in the triangle ABC, and let Z be a point inside the triangle.

Further to this, consider the points P, Q, R on the sides AB, BC and AC, respectively. P, Q, R lie such that ZP is perpendicular to AB, ZQ is perpendicular to BC, and ZR is perpendicular to AC.

Show that ha/ZQ + hb/ZR + hc/ZP >= 9.

So far I have considered;
Area(ABC) = Area(AZC) + Area(AZB) + Area(BZC) = 0,5*(AC*ZR)+0,5*(AB*ZP)+0,5*(BC*ZQ)

But I don't know if that is any useful. Any comments?

Here is a sketched form of the triangle;

View attachment 5798

https://gyazo.com/7742bc1428ac5adf84033dfc2ec29564

Attachments

• frusciante.jpg
    frusciante.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 56
Last edited by a moderator:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Prove that \(\displaystyle \frac{ZP}{h_c}+\frac{ZQ}{h_a}+\frac{ZR}{h_b}=1\). Then use the fact that \(\displaystyle (x+y+z)\left(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}\right)\ge9\) (proved with the help of the harmonic mean).

Evgeny.Makarov said:
Prove that \(\displaystyle \frac{ZP}{h_c}+\frac{ZQ}{h_a}+\frac{ZR}{h_b}=1\). Then use the fact that \(\displaystyle (x+y+z)\left(\frac{1}{x}+\frac{1}{y}+\frac{1}{z}\right)\ge9\) (proved with the help of the harmonic mean).

Thank you for your response, Evgeny. Indeed that first expression (=1) must hold, but I am having a hard time to prove that \(\displaystyle \frac{ZP}{h_c}+\frac{ZQ}{h_a}+\frac{ZR}{h_b}=1\) since the two "types" of distances (ZP - h_c etc) aren't parallel given that the triangle is not equilateral. Any idea?

frusciante said:
I am having a hard time to prove that \(\displaystyle \frac{ZP}{h_c}+\frac{ZQ}{h_a}+\frac{ZR}{h_b}=1\) since the two "types" of distances (ZP - h_c etc) aren't parallel given that the triangle is not equilateral. Any idea?
I am not sure what you mean by parallel types of distances. The altitude from $C$ and $ZP$ are parallel since they are both perpendicular to $AB$. I suggest multiplying both $h_c$ and $ZP$ by $AB$ and using your observation about the sum of areas.

1. What is "Proof Quest: Non-Equilateral Triangle Enclosing Point Z"?

"Proof Quest: Non-Equilateral Triangle Enclosing Point Z" is a mathematical problem where the goal is to construct a triangle with one side of a given length and one vertex at a given point Z, without using any angles or compasses.

2. Why is this problem important?

This problem is important because it challenges and improves our problem-solving skills and geometrical thinking. It also has practical applications in fields such as architecture, engineering, and navigation.

3. What are the main steps to solve this problem?

To solve this problem, we need to start by drawing a line segment of the given length from point Z. Then, we construct a perpendicular bisector of this line segment. Next, we draw a circle with the given length as the radius, centered at the intersection of the perpendicular bisector and the line segment. Finally, we connect the two points where the circle intersects the line segment, and the third vertex of the triangle will be at point Z.

4. Can this problem be solved using any other methods?

Yes, there are other methods to solve this problem, such as using a straightedge and compass, or using trigonometry and basic geometry principles.

5. What are some tips for solving this problem?

Some tips for solving this problem include breaking down the steps and taking your time, using precise and accurate measurements, and thinking outside the box to find alternative solutions.