Proof that lattice points can't form an equilateral triangle

In summary, lattice points are points on a grid with integer coordinates that can form different types of triangles, but not equilateral triangles due to the nature of their coordinates. This statement has a mathematical proof using the Pythagorean theorem and congruence in triangles. The concept of lattice points has real-life applications in crystallography, computer graphics, and image processing.
Figaro
From Courant's Differential and Integral Calculus p.13,
In an ordinary system of rectangular co-ordinates, the points for which both co-ordinates are integers are called lattice points. Prove that a triangle whose vertices are lattice points cannot be equilateral.

Proof: Let ##A=(0,0), B=(\frac{a}{2},b), C=(a,0)## be points in a rectangular coordinate system where ##a## and ##b## are integers. Equilateral triangles have angles 60° at every corner, and we know that ##tan(60)=\sqrt3##. So, the distance from the point ##B## to the line ##\bar {AC}## is ##\frac{a}{2}tan(60) = \frac{\sqrt3}{2}a## which is an irrational number and contradicts the fact that the distance from the point ##B## to the line ##\bar {AC}## is an integer.

But according to other post and resources this proof is flawed. Can anyone help me with this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried to prove using the Pythagorean theorem?

Construct the triangle with sides 2a in length and height b?

The A vertex is at (0,0) and the B vertex is at (a,b) and the C vertex is at (2a,0)

This preserves a and b as integers and using the Pythagorean theorem removes the need for the tangent.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
Have you tried to prove using the Pythagorean theorem?

Construct the triangle with sides 2a in length and height b?

The A vertice is at (0,0) and the B vertice is at (a,b) and the C vertice is at (2a,0)

This preserves a and b as integers and using the Pythagorean theorem removes the need for the tangent.
Actually, I want to use the hint that Courant gave "Hint: Use the irrationality of ##sin(60)=\frac{\sqrt3}{2}##". I used tan(60) but the idea is the same, what does he want me to do?

I think I see the flaw now. Basically you want to use lattice points as the vertices that doesn't mean the the sides of the constructed equilateral triangle will have integer measure though only that the sides are all equal in measure.

You could select two vertices as A at (0,0) and B at (1,1) so that the side of the proposed equilateral triangle is ##\sqrt{2}## and you have to show that the third vertex cannot be a lattice point.

For your proof then choose A to be (0,0) and B to be (a,b) where a and b are integer values and then determine the third lattice point in terms of these two.

Last edited:
jedishrfu said:
I think I see the flaw now. Basically you want to use lattice points as the vertices that doesn't mean the the sides of the constructed equilateral triangle will have integer measure though only that the sides are all equal in measure.

You could select two vertices as A at (0,0) and B at (1,1) so that the side of the proposed equilateral triangle is ##\sqrt{2}## and you have to show that the third vertex cannot be a lattice point.

For your proof then choose A to be (0,0) and B to be (a,b) where a and b are integer values and then determine the third lattice point in terms of these two.
How come it cannot be a lattice point? Suppose the side ##\bar {AB}## is ##\sqrt2##, then the second side should be ##\sqrt2## also but then the third would not be ##\sqrt2## which shows that it is not an equilateral triangle.

Last edited by a moderator:
You've started with the premise that you have an equilateral triangle and you fix a side via (0,0) and (a,b) vertices and then construct the third vertex from them. The third vertex of the equilateral triangle coordinates won't be integers and hence it can't be a lattice point.

1. What are lattice points?

Lattice points are points on a grid where the coordinates are integers. They can be visualized as the intersection points of horizontal and vertical lines on a graph.

2. Why can't lattice points form an equilateral triangle?

This is due to the nature of equilateral triangles, which require all three sides to have equal lengths. Since lattice points have integer coordinates, it is impossible for all three sides to have the same length and still pass through lattice points.

3. Can lattice points form other types of triangles?

Yes, lattice points can form other types of triangles such as right triangles, isosceles triangles, and scalene triangles. However, they cannot form equilateral triangles.

4. Is there a mathematical proof for this statement?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof for this statement. The proof involves using the Pythagorean theorem and the concept of congruence in triangles to show that it is impossible for lattice points to form an equilateral triangle.

5. Are there any real-life applications of this concept?

The concept of lattice points not being able to form an equilateral triangle has applications in crystallography, where it is used to understand the symmetries of crystals. It is also relevant in computer graphics and image processing, where grids of pixels are used to represent images.