Proof: Solve Rational equation for interval

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a theorem to prove that the equation \frac{c}{x-2} + \frac{d}{x-4} = 0 has at least one solution in the interval (2,4) if c and d are positive. The theorem requires f to be continuous on the closed interval [2,4], but there is a discontinuity at x=2 and x=4. The solution is to rewrite the equation and consider the limits as x approaches 2 and 4. This reveals that f(a) and f(b) have opposite signs, allowing us to conclude that there is at least one solution in the interval.
John O' Meara
Prove that if c and d are positive, then the equation [tex] \frac{c}{x-2} + \frac{d}{x-4} = 0 [/tex] has at least one solution in the interval (2,4).
I try to use the following theorem: If f is continuous on [a,b] and if f(a) and f(b) are nonzero and have opposite signs, then there is at least one solution of the equation f(x) = 0 in the interval (a,b).
As the theorem requires f to be continuous on the closed interval [2,4], the open interval (2,4) is what is given, indeed there is a discontinuity at x=2 and at x =4. The equation can be rewritten as [tex] \frac{x-2}{x-4} + \frac{c}{d}=0 [/tex] x not equal to 2. I do not know of any other theorem to use. Can someone point me in the correct direction, please. Thank you.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Look at the limits as x --> 2+ and x --> 4-. What does that tell you?

[tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 2^+} \mbox{ \lim_{x \rightarrow4^-} \mbox{ are } -\infty \mbox{ and } +\infty [/tex] I think or maybe the other way round, I have to check their signs using test points. It tells me that f(a)= -infinity and f(b)=+infinity

So can you get f to have opposite signs on the interval?

Yes, I can get f to have opposite signs on the interval.And the conclusion of theorem follows

1. How do you solve a rational equation?

To solve a rational equation, you must first make sure that the equation is in its simplest form, with no common factors in the numerator and denominator. Then, you can cross-multiply to eliminate the fractions and solve the resulting linear equation. Finally, check your answer by plugging it back into the original equation.

2. What is an interval in relation to rational equations?

An interval is a range of values that a variable can take on in a rational equation. It is often expressed in terms of inequalities, such as x < 5 or x ≥ 2. Solving a rational equation for an interval means finding the range of values that satisfy the equation.

3. What is the difference between an extraneous solution and a valid solution in a rational equation?

An extraneous solution is a solution that appears to satisfy the rational equation, but when plugged back into the equation, it does not make it true. This can happen when solving for an interval, as some values may satisfy the resulting linear equation but not the original rational equation. A valid solution, on the other hand, is a value that satisfies the original equation when plugged back in.

4. Can you use any property of equality when solving a rational equation?

Yes, you can use any property of equality when solving a rational equation as long as it is applied correctly. This includes the distributive, associative, commutative, and identity properties, as well as properties of fractions such as the reciprocal property.

5. Are there any restrictions when solving a rational equation for an interval?

Yes, there are restrictions when solving a rational equation for an interval. These restrictions occur when the denominator of the rational expression becomes zero, as this would result in an undefined value. Therefore, any values that make the denominator equal to zero must be excluded from the interval of solutions.