Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof: Solve Rational equation for interval

1. Oct 3, 2009 #1
    Prove that if c and d are positive, then the equation [tex] \frac{c}{x-2} + \frac{d}{x-4} = 0 [/tex] has at least one solution in the interval (2,4).
    I try to use the following theorem: If f is continuous on [a,b] and if f(a) and f(b) are nonzero and have opposite signs, then there is at least one solution of the equation f(x) = 0 in the interval (a,b).
    As the theorem requires f to be continuous on the closed interval [2,4], the open interval (2,4) is what is given, indeed there is a discontinuity at x=2 and at x =4. The equation can be rewritten as [tex] \frac{x-2}{x-4} + \frac{c}{d}=0 [/tex] x not equal to 2. I do not know of any other theorem to use. Can someone point me in the correct direction, please. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2009 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Look at the limits as x --> 2+ and x --> 4-. What does that tell you?

4. Oct 3, 2009 #3
    [tex] \lim_{x\rightarrow 2^+} \mbox{ \lim_{x \rightarrow4^-} \mbox{ are } -\infty \mbox{ and } +\infty [/tex] I think or maybe the other way round, I have to check their signs using test points. It tells me that f(a)= -infinity and f(b)=+infinity

5. Oct 3, 2009 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

So can you get f to have opposite signs on the interval?

6. Oct 3, 2009 #5
    Yes, I can get f to have opposite signs on the interval.And the conclusion of theorem follows

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook