Proof that 1 is an odd number using Peano Axioms of naturals

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 3K views
Andraz Cepic
Messages
31
Reaction score
3
So I was just writing a proof that every natural number is either even or odd. I went in two directions and both require that 1 is odd, in fact I think that 1 must always be odd for every such proof as the nature of naturals is inductive from 1.

I am using the version where 1 is the smallest number of natural numbers. Using the one with 0 shouldn't be a problem.

Now by the definition of oddness, a number n in naturals is odd iff n = 2k + 1 for some k in naturals.
Thereby 1 "could" be 1 = 2*0 + 1, however 0 does not exist from Peano's axioms, thus such an operation is not defined in naturals, moreover using n = 2k - 1 as the definition of oddness is also not sufficient, as the natural numbers have no notion of -1.

Therefore, my question is what am I missing here, as I do not yet know almost any abstract algebra to fully understand such rigor here(I'll be a math freshman starting this October), but this question is getting me nervous :D. Could it be that with these axioms we cannot define evenness or oddness of the members of the set they describe?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If your natural numbers start at 1 rather than 0, I don't think you'd be able to succeed by defining an odd number as ##2k+1##, for the reason you pointed out.

However the following problem:
Andraz Cepic said:
moreover using n = 2k - 1 as the definition of oddness is also not sufficient, as the natural numbers have no notion of -1.
is easily fixed.

Instead of defining an odd number to be a number ##n## for which there exists a number ##k## such that ##n=2k-1## which, as you point out, is undefined, define it to be a number ##n## for which there exists a number ##k## such that ##n+1=2k##. Then ##n=1## is odd with ##k=1##.
 
I think you're getting nervous unnecessarily. In maths things are what they are defined to be. If we take ##\mathbb{N}## not to include ##0## and define odd and even as ##2n+1## and ##2n## respectively, then this doesn't cover the number ##1##.#

Note that if the definition of odd is ##2n+1## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, then nothing you can do is going to prove that ##1## is odd from that; precisely because ##1## fails that definition.

We see that ##2, 4, 6 \dots## are even and that ##3, 5, 7 \dots## are odd.

We would then have to define ##1## to be odd. Later, when we have ##0## we can redefine odd and even and take care of ##1## then.

Note that an inductive argument can just as easily start with ##3## as with ##1##. You could prove that ##3, 5, 7 \dots## are odd without saying anything about ##1##.
 
PeroK said:
I think you're getting nervous unnecessarily. In maths things are what they are defined to be. If we take ##\mathbb{N}## not to include ##0## and define odd and even as ##2n+1## and ##2n## respectively, then this doesn't cover the number ##1##.#

Note that if the definition of odd is ##2n+1## for some ##n \in \mathbb{N}##, then nothing you can do is going to prove that ##1## is odd from that; precisely because ##1## fails that definition.

We see that ##2, 4, 6 \dots## are even and that ##3, 5, 7 \dots## are odd.

We would then have to define ##1## to be odd. Later, when we have ##0## we can redefine odd and even and take care of ##1## then.

Note that an inductive argument can just as easily start with ##3## as with ##1##. You could prove that ##3, 5, 7 \dots## are odd without saying anything about ##1##.
Hmm so I was right to hypothesise that we cannot prove this theorem with naturals starting at 1 as 1 fails the definitions of oddness and evenness, except of course we define oddness of n as n+1=2k for some k, then 1 satsfies it perfectly. I did not even think about this solution!

Thank you :)
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: PeroK