1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proof to find fraction inbetween to fraction

1. Aug 26, 2012 #1
    I keep getting slightly confused with the algebraic method of finding a fraction between, two other fraction. Here is an example question, I have been doing

Find the fraction between 13/15 and 14/15? I personally convert both to percentages and find the average between the two, the convert back to a fraction. So in this case I did:

13/15 = 0.8666666 = 87%
    14/15 = 0.933333 = 93%
    87+93 = 180/2= 90
    90/100 = 9/10: which I believe is correct

The method I do not understand is the proof behind this method: 13/15+14/15 = 27/30 / 3 top and bottom you get 9/10. But its the proof that confuse me. I will show where I get confused:

I understand this part: a/b < c/d cross multiply ad < bc

This is the part I don't understand: Add ab to both sides ab+ad < ab+bc

why add ab to both sides, where dose this come from?

then factor : a(b+d)<b(a+c)⇒ a/b < a+c/a+b

Then you add cd to both sides, once again why? then you factor out again.

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2012 #2
    Think of it this way:

You start with 13/15 and 14/15

13/15 is equal to 26/30
    and
    14/15 is equal to 28/30

This is done by a simple multiplication of two on both the numerator and the denominator.

Looking at your new fractions, it is obvious that 27/30 is in between the two of them, and 27/30 simplifies to 9/10

4. Aug 26, 2012 #3

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Because it works. Notice in the next line the factoring worked out such that we can get a/b on its own on the left side.

Just a typo but it should be a/b < (a+c)/(b+d)

I guess when you say you add cd to both sides you're talking about

[tex]ad<bc[/tex]

[tex]cd+ad<cd+bc[/tex]

[tex]d(a+c)<c(b+d)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{a+c}{b+d}<\frac{c}{d}[/tex]

Which again work exactly the way we want it to. We've now just shown that [tex]\frac{a}{b}<\frac{a+c}{b+d}<\frac{c}{d}[/tex]

By using algebraic manipulations that were cleverly used to give us the answer we were looking for.
    But keep in mind that this value [tex]x=\frac{a+c}{b+d}[/tex] is not always exactly in the middle of a/b and c/d. When b and d are different, it doesn't turn out to be the average of the two fractions.

If you wanted the average of a/b and c/d as your in-between fraction, then you'd have

[tex]x=\frac{\frac{a}{b}+\frac{c}{d}}{2}[/tex]
    [tex]=\frac{ad+bc}{2bd}[/tex]

Which is a lot more calculations than the value of x obtained from the proof above.

5. Aug 27, 2012 #4

pwsnafu

Science Advisor

Trivia: the fraction ##\frac{a+c}{b+d}## is called the mediant of ##\frac{a}{b}## and ##\frac{c}{d}##.

Further the mediant does not preserve order. Suppose that ##\frac{a}{b} < \frac{A}{B}## and ##\frac{c}{d} < \frac{C}{D}##, but it is possible to have ##\frac{a+c}{b+d} > \frac{A+C}{B+D}##. This is known as Simpson's paradox.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook