Properties of foam plastic in Mattress and in general

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties and usage of foam in mattresses. The individual is seeking information about the insulation and heat conduction properties of foam, as well as recommendations for the best mattress. They clarify that they are referring to normal foam rather than memory foam.
MQTUAE
Hello,

I wanted to know which properties a foam plastic have in general and how it works in a Mattress.

I have a Foam mattress is there any difference between hot and cold foam?

My Mattress is a Foam mattress not a Spring mattress and it feels too hot after a while you lie on it.

Is it because of the Foam it gets heated and doesn't give away the heat?

So can it be that the Foam insulate too much? or do a Foam not insulate and its only the cover of the mattress?

Thats why i wanted to know the properties of a Foam and of the Foam which is filled in a Mattress or in General.

Does Foam insulate and how it is build or works.

Can you also give me a advice which mattress should i buy which are the best in tests and experience ?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Andy Resnick said:
Are you referring to something like this:

http://www.tempurpedic.com/TEMPUR-Collection/TEMPUR-Collection.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Memory_foam

hi,

this is all about memory foam I am talkin about normal foam made of the same material as like plastic ...i wanted to know about the insulation of foam and heat conduction properties for example.

anyway thanks for your answer.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is foam plastic and what properties does it have?

Foam plastic is a lightweight, versatile material made from a combination of plastic and air. Its properties include being lightweight, soft, and able to conform to different shapes and sizes. It also has good insulation and cushioning properties.

2. How is foam plastic used in mattresses?

Foam plastic is commonly used in mattresses as a comfort layer or as the main support material. It provides cushioning and support for the body, promoting better sleep and reducing pressure points.

3. What are the benefits of using foam plastic in mattresses?

The use of foam plastic in mattresses has several benefits. It is lightweight, making it easier to move and transport mattresses. It also provides better support and comfort, reducing back pain and promoting better sleep. Additionally, foam plastic is hypoallergenic and resistant to dust mites and mold, making it a healthier choice for those with allergies.

4. Are there different types of foam plastic used in mattresses?

Yes, there are different types of foam plastic used in mattresses, including polyurethane foam, memory foam, and latex foam. Each type has its own unique properties and benefits, so it's important to choose the right one based on individual preferences and needs.

5. How long does foam plastic in mattresses typically last?

The lifespan of foam plastic in mattresses can vary depending on the type and quality of foam used, as well as the frequency of use. On average, foam plastic in mattresses can last anywhere from 7-10 years with proper care and maintenance.