Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Proton-electron mass ratio; changed? how much?

1. Nov 8, 2014 #1
    On the subject of our 'finely turned universe', I have read that the proton-electron mass ratio can not deviate more than 1:1037. In other readings, the allowable deviation was stated as 1% ("If the neutron were very slightly less massive, then it could not decay without energy input. If its mass were lower by 1%, then isolated protons would decay instead of neutrons, and very few atoms heavier than lithium could form."

Scientists using a Effelsberg 100-m radio telescope have determined that the ratio has changed "by only one hundred thousandth of a percent or less over the past 7 billion years"; alternatively, the change is written as 10^-7.

My question is: Is the change in the ratio (one hundred thousandth of a percent, 10^-7) greater or less than 1:1037?

[1:1037 is 1:10 to the 37th power]

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2014 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

I'm sorry, but that is simply not correct.

4. Nov 8, 2014 #3
    Has the maximum deviation of the protron-electron mass ratio been calculated? If so, what is it? Is it something less than 1%?

5. Nov 8, 2014 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

Where?

Do you mean 1037 (one thousand thirty-seven), or 1037 which is a really really really big number, or 10-37 which is a really really really small number?

(Tip: to write exponents correctly, highlight them with the mouse, then click the "x2" icon in the toolbar at the top of the message editor.)

6. Nov 8, 2014 #5
    My lack of physics/math background is showing.

The number would have to be small since the article I read was speaking on the subject of a finely tuned universe and how a slight deviation in the ratio would not support the creation of the universe as we know it.

This would seem to be the equation, 1:10-37.

Thanks, jtbell, for the tip.

7. Nov 8, 2014 #6

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

It's measured, not calculated. And it's known to half a part per billion - which is precise, but nowhere near as precise as your 10-37. Since it's not known to 10-37, it's hard to argue that it's value matters at the level of 10-37.

8. Nov 9, 2014 #7

Grinkle

Gold Member

If you can still recall where you read it (something I often struggle with) post the specific reference and you will almost certainly get more help understanding what you read.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook