Prove 0² + 1² + 2² + ... + n² = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 by induction

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
mcraze123
Messages
1
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



prove:
0^2 + 1^2 + 2^2 + ... + n^2 = n(n+1)(2n+1)/6


Homework Equations





The Attempt at a Solution



I'm confused on how to prove this by induction. I'm not exactly sure what the goal of the rearrangement is after substituting (n+1). Any help is much appreciated!

base case: n = 0
0^2 = 0(0+1)(2*0+1)/6

induction step:
(0^2+1^2+2^2+...+n^2) + (n+1)^2 = (n+1)((n+1)+1)(2(n+1)+1)/6

n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 + (n+1)^2

(n+1)[n(2n+1)/6 + (n+1)]
...here is where I'm lost, I'm not sure what I'm trying to manipulate it to look like...

Thanks!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
mcraze123 said:
(n+1)[n(2n+1)/6 + (n+1)]
...here is where I'm lost, I'm not sure what I'm trying to manipulate it to look like...

Factor out 1/6 and then simplify what is left in the brackets.
 
mcraze123 said:
induction step:
(0^2+1^2+2^2+...+n^2) + (n+1)^2 = (n+1)((n+1)+1)(2(n+1)+1)/6

n(n+1)(2n+1)/6 + (n+1)^2

(n+1)[n(2n+1)/6 + (n+1)]
...here is where I'm lost, I'm not sure what I'm trying to manipulate it to look like...
You're trying to show the first equation is true. To do this, you start with one side, as you have done, and manipulate it until it looks like the other side.