Prove n(n+1)(n+2) is divisible by 6

• Thread starter transmini
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof
The answer to that question is the key to why one of the factors must be a multiple of 3.In summary, to prove that n(n+1)(n+2) is divisible by 6 for all integers n, we can break it into three cases: n = 3k, n = 3k + 1, and n = 3k + 2. In each case, one of the factors is divisible by 3, and since one of the factors is also even, the overall product is divisible by 6. This is due to the fact that any three successive integers will have one that is divisible by 3.
transmini

Homework Statement

[/B]
Prove n(n+1)(n+2) is divisible by 6 for all integers n. (WITHOUT using induction, we have yet to get to induction so I figure it would be wise to do this without it.)

Homework Equations

[/B]
The section we were given this under primarily talks about the quotient remainder theorem (n = dq+r) though I couldn't figure out how to apply this either.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly not sure where to even begin with this one. Nothing even slightly similar has been covered as to give a slight intuition on how to begin this.

I've managed to prove that it's divisible by 2 for all even and odd integers by using n = 2k and n = 2k+1 respectively. That still leaves proving it is divisible by 3 for even and odds though, which is where I get stuck doing that method.

Physics news on Phys.org
transmini said:

Homework Statement

[/B]
Prove n(n+1)(n+2) is divisible by 6 for all integers n. (WITHOUT using induction, we have yet to get to induction so I figure it would be wise to do this without it.)

Homework Equations

[/B]
The section we were given this under primarily talks about the quotient remainder theorem (n = dq+r) though I couldn't figure out how to apply this either.

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly not sure where to even begin with this one. Nothing even slightly similar has been covered as to give a slight intuition on how to begin this.

I've managed to prove that it's divisible by 2 for all even and odd integers by using n = 2k and n = 2k+1 respectively. That still leaves proving it is divisible by 3 for even and odds though, which is where I get stuck doing that method.
Any time you have three successive integers as you do here, one of them will be divisible by 3. Of course, this is what you have to prove.

One technique is to break things into three cases, similar to what you did for testing divisibility by 2 with two cases.
Case 1: n = 3k
Case 2: n = 3k + 1
Case 3: n = 3k + 2
What can you conclude from each case? Do all three cases lead you to conclude that n(n + 1)(n + 2) is divisible by 3? Don't forget, though, that one of the factors has to be even so that the overall product has a factor of 6.

Likes Ahmad Kishki
Mark44 said:
Any time you have three successive integers as you do here, one of them will be divisible by 3. Of course, this is what you have to prove.

One technique is to break things into three cases, similar to what you did for testing divisibility by 2 with two cases.
Case 1: n = 3k
Case 2: n = 3k + 1
Case 3: n = 3k + 2
What can you conclude from each case? Do all three cases lead you to conclude that n(n + 1)(n + 2) is divisible by 3? Don't forget, though, that one of the factors has to be even so that the overall product has a factor of 6.

So would the proper way to go about Case 1 then be:
n = 3k
3k(3k+1)(3k+2)
Let m = k(3k+1)(3k+2)
3m
3m is divisible by 3, therefore n(n+1)(n+2) is divisble by 3 (only in case 1 currently)
?

And why is it that we set n = 3k and so on, instead of the whole n(n+1)(n+2) = 3k and so on?

transmini said:
So would the proper way to go about Case 1 then be:
n = 3k
If n = 3k, then clearly n(n + 1)(n + 2) is divisible by 3 (since n is divisible by 3). You don't need to say anything else in this case, other than showing that n(n + 1)(n + 2) is even.
transmini said:
3k(3k+1)(3k+2)
Let m = k(3k+1)(3k+2)
3m
3m is divisible by 3, therefore n(n+1)(n+2) is divisble by 3 (only in case 1 currently)
?

And why is it that we set n = 3k and so on, instead of the whole n(n+1)(n+2) = 3k and so on?
If you write this equation, you are automatically assuming that n(n + 1)(n + 2) is divisible by 3. You can't assume this -- you need to prove it.

Mark44 said:
If you write this equation, you are automatically assuming that n(n + 1)(n + 2) is divisible by 3. You can't assume this -- you need to prove it.

Okay I believe that I understand that and it makes sense. Thanks for the quick replies

Counting numbers one by one every how often do you find one divisible by 3? If the first one (n) isn't, how far do you have to go at most before you find one that is?

1. What does it mean for a number to be divisible by 6?

When a number is divisible by 6, it means that it can be evenly divided by 6 without any remainder.

2. How can you prove that n(n+1)(n+2) is divisible by 6?

There are a few different ways to prove this, but one common method is to use mathematical induction. This involves showing that the statement is true for a base case (usually n=1 or n=0) and then showing that if it is true for some value of n, it must also be true for n+1. This demonstrates that the statement is true for all natural numbers.

3. Why is it important to prove that n(n+1)(n+2) is divisible by 6?

Proving this statement can be useful in various mathematical applications, such as in algebraic simplification or in solving combinatorial problems. Additionally, being able to prove statements like this can help develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

4. Can you use other methods besides mathematical induction to prove this statement?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to prove this statement, such as direct proof or proof by contradiction. However, mathematical induction is often the most straightforward and efficient method for proving statements involving natural numbers.

5. What are some real-world examples of n(n+1)(n+2) being divisible by 6?

One example is in the field of computer programming, where this statement can be used to optimize code and make it more efficient. Another example is in statistics, where this statement can be used to calculate probabilities and combinations. Additionally, this statement can be applied in various areas of science, such as in physics and chemistry, when analyzing patterns and relationships between numbers.